NCCER benefits

Maykol25

New User
Occupation
Electrician
what would be benefits for someone that is receiving an NCCER electrical certification, and also what opportunities could this certification provide if i wanted to start my electrical journey in a different state. Since I am currently in Miami Florida, but I don't believe that is where I want to stay, I also don't see as many opportunities here as where in other states I might have better opportunities, I am currently in Florida technical college and i have about 8 more months to make my decision and I'm also receiving a certification in both electrical and electrical PLC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Most certifications are about convincing people who don't know any better that you know more than you really do. They can be pretty cost-effective at doing that. It is like any kind of certification you get. If it costs you more money than it's worth in added income don't waste your money on it.

People that actually know won't be fooled by the certificates. They will talk to you for 5 minutes and know you are either competent, able to become competent, or clueless and unlikely to be anything but clueless despite being certified. It may get you past the HR department filter and that's a benefit.

There is really no substitute for experience in most things. People who have a level of competency in whatever it is you want to do are going to know that someone who just came out of school probably isn't going to be all that good, but they also realize that you may well have a very good base to start from.

As long as you understand the limitations of the certification programs and what you are actually getting out of them and can afford them I don't see a problem with getting them it's not going to hurt you and it might help you get in the door. But beyond that you are going to have to show that you actually know what you're doing and the certification just isn't going to make any difference for that.