NEC 110.26 (E) dedicated equipment space above PDU and UPS's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dou99er

If a UPS and/or PDU that contains a distribution panelboard enclosed within the electrical equipment, does NEC 110.26 (E) apply? Because this type of electrical equipment because it is not classified as a switchboard, switchgear, panelboards, and motor control centers than piping and mechanical ductwork or equipment can enter the dedicated equipment space above.

Thanks in advance for your response.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It is a good question, and one that is certainly open to interpretation. My view is that the rule does apply. Whatever you call the overall enclosure, and whatever other purposes may be served by that enclosure, there is a panelboard, and that panelboard requires dedicated equipment space.

ron

If a UPS and/or PDU that contains a distribution panelboard enclosed within the electrical equipment, does NEC 110.26 (E) apply?

I have had this exact conversation with an AHJ. He realized I was trying to twist things to serve my client's benefit, so he didn't allow it.

Same with an RPP (aka panelboard) at the end of a row of IT equipment. Can cable tray be run over the RPP (within the dedicated space if it were called a panelboard, not an RPP) to get to all of the IT cables? I explained in the same way that it was listed as UL 60950 and not a panelboard (UL 67), and this time it was allowed.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Ron, for that second example, the cable tray is clearly not in any of the categories of "piping, ducts, or leak protection apparatus." But was there a question of whether the tray would be "other equipment foreign to the electrical installation"?

ron

Ron, for that second example, the cable tray is clearly not in any of the categories of "piping, ducts, or leak protection apparatus." But was there a question of whether the tray would be "other equipment foreign to the electrical installation"?
Yes, it was foreign.

BTW, the AHJ discounted the PDU labeling as IT Equipment argument, because he just identified the definition shown in the code (645.17), which says it has panelboards

Status
Not open for further replies.