NEC 120% Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvr180

Hi guys,

This is my first post so excuses upfront.
My question is as follows: NEC states that for the breaker selection of a PV system i cannot exceed the 120% from the busbar. That means that if the pullout specification of that panel says for example 125A Max and it has a 100 A Main Breaker installed, i have 50A of breaker available right??.

Thanks in advance.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hi guys,

My question is as follows: NEC states that for the breaker selection of a PV system i cannot exceed the 120% from the busbar. That means that if the pullout specification of that panel says for example 125A Max and it has a 100 A Main Breaker installed, i have 50A of breaker available right??.

Thanks in advance.

That is correct. It must be installed at the opposite end of the panel busbar from the main breaker. You can put up to a 25A breaker anywhere on the busbar you want but anything bigger than that must be at the other end.

Carultch

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

If NEC2014 applies, they've rewritten the language so that instead of the PV interconnection breaker's trip rating, you get to use total inverter current * 125%. Same concept, but it avoids rounding errors being a showstopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.