Nec 200-6(a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sticko

I'm wanting to understand the reason why smaller than #6 AWG can not be re-identified. I have never done this, but I have just can across an istallation where many #10 AWG have been taped white in the panel, j-box and receptacles.
Any help?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Because it accommodates manufacturing practices. With cables, whites may be re-identified. With conduit, there's "no excuse" for using the wrong colors.

Hendrix

I'm wanting to understand the reason why smaller than #6 AWG can not be re-identified. I have never done this, but I have just can across an istallation where many #10 AWG have been taped white in the panel, j-box and receptacles.
Any help?
I believe it's #6 and smaller.

sticko

It's the exception for multiconductor assembly that I question. 10-4 MC cable was used. It is for two receptacle circuits, so two neutrals were needed. But I believe the exception does not cover MC cable. I know two GFCI receptacles would solve the issue, by sharing the one white conductor. But is 10-4 MC cable considered a multi-conductor cable or a multiconductor assembly?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It's the exception for multiconductor assembly that I question. 10-4 MC cable was used. It is for two receptacle circuits, so two neutrals were needed. But I believe the exception does not cover MC cable. I know two GFCI receptacles would solve the issue, by sharing the one white conductor. But is 10-4 MC cable considered a multi-conductor cable or a multiconductor assembly?

IMO 10/4 is a multiconductor cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.