NEC 2017 Article 700.12(B)(6)

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
NEC 2017 Article 700.12(B)(6) regarding outside generator says If I have disconnect in building right where outside generator feeders enter the building then generator main breakers are not required to be within sight of the building l. Is this correct or incorrect?

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
NEC 2017 Article 700.12(B)(6) regarding outside generator says If I have disconnect in building right where outside generator feeders enter the building then generator main breakers are not required to be within sight of the building l. Is this correct or incorrect?

If a disconnect is at the generator and within sight of the building then the conductors may enter the building. Also needs to be readily accessible.

Or the generator conductors need a disconnect on the building. This covers if the generator is not within sight of the building or is not readily accessible.

Also, this is for emergency systems that are required to be present. You might also find your answer in 701 or 702 depending on the application.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
If a disconnect is at the generator and within sight of the building then the conductors may enter the building. Also needs to be readily accessible.

Or the generator conductors need a disconnect on the building. This covers if the generator is not within sight of the building or is not readily accessible.

Also, this is for emergency systems that are required to be present. You might also find your answer in 701 or 702 depending on the application.

What if generator main breakers are not within sight of building and the generator feeders go underground and come up in building electrical room? I would need disconnect right where they enter the building no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
The way I read it, yes. You would need a disconnect on or in the building. For example, where they stub up in the electrical room there should be a method of disconnecting it there.