NEC 2020 - Crawl Space Water Heaters & Air Handlers Need GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirstreamJake

Occupation
Retired
Is it correct that ALL outlets in a crawl space rated 50 amps or less and 150V or less to ground now require GFCI protection - and that this would include hot water heaters located in a crawl space, as would air handlers for HVAC?

AirstreamJake

Occupation
Retired
There are actually no applicable NEC codes, nor are there building inspectors or permit requirements, in the rural Texas county where I live. Regardless, I want to do all work according to the most up-to-date safety standards and NEC codes, which would be the 2020 NEC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are actually no applicable NEC codes, nor are there building inspectors or permit requirements, in the rural Texas county where I live. Regardless, I want to do all work according to the most up-to-date safety standards and NEC codes, which would be the 2020 NEC.

The state of Texas has adopted a code and you are required to follow the code regardless if there is an inspector or not. Obviously, you want to do it correctly but I just wanted you to know there is still liability and code requirements in that area, IMO.

I had a builder tell me when my first home was built there were no inspections so they didn't have to follow code.... I told him I could call the state and see what they think- he came and fixed the issue-- 10 years later too.

AirstreamJake

Occupation
Retired
The state of Texas has adopted a code and you are required to follow the code regardless if there is an inspector or not. Obviously, you want to do it correctly but I just wanted you to know there is still liability and code requirements in that area, IMO.

I had a builder tell me when my first home was built there were no inspections so they didn't have to follow code.... I told him I could call the state and see what they think- he came and fixed the issue-- 10 years later too.

The State of Texas has adopted but did not mandate the 2011 NEC (per the research that I've done) for Texas counties in general. Cities are free to adopt stricter, more recent codes. However, for counties, the 2011 NEC only applies if the Texas code provision is specifically approved and adopted by the individual county in question. To my knowledge, the county that I live in (Titus) has not done so. This issue, however, is a peripheral and mute point. My home IS being built to the latest nationwide building codes, regardless of whether they have been adopted in my county or not.

The question of which code applies is a side topic that I did not ask to be addressed and which does not answer my original question, which is whether the 2020 NEC requires GFI protection of crawl space water heaters and air handlers. Sounds to me like it does. What do you guys think?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The 2020 does not require water heaters nor air handlers to be gfci protected unless they are cord and plug connected-- which, IMO could be a violation unless the manufacturer allows such a hookup.

AirstreamJake

Occupation
Retired
Thanks, Dennis. I missed a key word in 210.8 (A). You are correct, it looks to be 'receptacles', not 'outlets': If I do desire to be extra cautious and go above and beyond, do you see any harm (or potential drawbacks) in GFCI-protecting a hardwired water heater and air handler in a crawl space?

210.8 (A) GFCI Protection for Personnel — Dwelling Units The changes in 210.8(A) will result in all 125‐volt through 250‐volt receptacles installed at dwelling units supplied by single‐phase branch circuits rated 150‐volts or less to ground to be provided with ground‐ fault circuit‐interrupter (GFCI) protection for personnel. This new addition of 250‐volt receptacles, and the removal of any amperage limitation, will require GFCI protection for most commonly used receptacle outlets in the specified areas of 210.8(A)(1) through (A)(11): Bathrooms, Garages and Accessory Buildings, Outdoors, Crawl Spaces, Basements, Kitchens, Sinks, Boathouses, Bathtubs and Shower Stalls, Laundry Areas, Indoor Damp and Wet Locations. Also, (A)(2) for Basements previously only required GFCI protection in “unfinished” areas; (A)(2) now requires all receptacle outlets in basements (area below grade level) to be GFCI protected, regardless if the basement is finished or unfinished. 2. 210.8

Now, along the same lines, it does look like, per NEC 2020, I will need to GFCI protect my outdoor heat pump unit, since the applicable change specifies 'outlets': Is that correct?

(F) Ground‐Fault Circuit‐Interrupter Protection for Personnel: Outdoor Outlets GFCI protection is now required on dwelling unit outdoor outlets* supplied by single‐phase branch circuits rated 150‐volts or less to ground, and 50‐amperes or less. This expanded requirement will include the typical outdoor 240‐volt branch circuit that supplies HVAC equipment. There is an exception that excludes outdoor lighting outlets from having to be GFCI protected. *Recall that Article 100 defines an “Outlet” as a point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment. The term “outlet” is often misused to refer to receptacles. Receptacle outlets are only one type of outlet. Other types of outlets include lighting outlets, appliance outlets, smoke alarm outlets, equipment outlets and so on

Last edited:

AirstreamJake

Occupation
Retired
That is correct. The 2020 NEC is requiring GFCI for Heat pumps or a/c units
Thanks, Dennis. That is very helpful information. I guess I still don't understand, however, why only receptacles of 50 amps or less need GFCI in the crawl space, but not water heaters and air handlers. It seems that the risk of an energized case on either would also be present. Do some folks GFCI-protect those also, and is there any drawback in doing so?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't know anyone who gfci protects a hot water heater or an air handler. IMO, I would not do it as it will probably cause more nuisance for you then it is worth. Also dp gfci's are usually over $100 each

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The question of which code applies is a side topic that I did not ask to be addressed...

Well, to laypeople who don't understand how the NEC works, it would seem that the latest is the best but that's not true. If your jurisdiction has adopted a previous Code cycle, doing work according to a newer Code can actually result in violations in some kinds of work.

Also, keep in mind that it's most of our opinion that the NEC has been compromised by manufacturing interests and in particular, the expansion of AFCI and GFCI requirements isn't because of safety, but manufacturer profits. There is a reason why some states and jurisdictions don't recognize or adopt the latest Code or even recent Code cycles.

-Hal

AirstreamJake

Occupation
Retired
Well, to laypeople who don't understand how the NEC works, it would seem that the latest is the best but that's not true. If your jurisdiction has adopted a previous Code cycle, doing work according to a newer Code can actually result in violations in some kinds of work.

Also, keep in mind that it's most of our opinion that the NEC has been compromised by manufacturing interests and in particular, the expansion of AFCI and GFCI requirements isn't because of safety, but manufacturer profits. There is a reason why some states and jurisdictions don't recognize or adopt the latest Code or even recent Code cycles.

-Hal
Hal - I understand all this perfectly, and I am completely aware of the involvement and persuasion of manufacturing interests. Who are you to assume that anyone except a licensed electrician cannot understand 'how the NEC works'. In fact, I venture to say that I am more knowledgeable in the various building codes - not just NEC - than most so-called professionals. Your answer was in no way helpful in answering the question asked, so what is the purpose of your response? Just to heckle and degrade? As a professional, please act professionally. If you don't have anything productive to say, then don't say anything. I've already gotten the information I needed from Dennis.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain. Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.