NEC 210.70 Residential or Commercial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
210.70(A) is dwelling units, (B) and (C) are for other spaces.

deweigand

Occupation
Product Manager
Thanks for the reply
The reason I am asking is the 2023 change says this:
2023 Code Language:

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.
Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C). The switch or wall-mounted control device shall not rely exclusively on a battery unless a means is provided for automatically energizing the lighting outlets upon battery failure.

Many wireless lighting control switches for commercial spaces are battery powered. If (B) and (C) are commercial, then this would apply? Correct?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yes but note, there is no requirement to install a fixture in the spaces under 210.70, just an outlet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
2023 Code Language:

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.
Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C). The switch or wall-mounted control device shall not rely exclusively on a battery unless a means is provided for automatically energizing the lighting outlets upon battery failure.

Many wireless lighting control switches for commercial spaces are battery powered. If (B) and (C) are commercial, then this would apply? Correct?

It appears that a wireless switch that relies on a battery is not compliant.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It appears that a wireless switch that relies on a battery is not compliant.
The master (hardwired) switch would keep it powered, so it's not totally relying on the battery in the remote/wireless switch, IMO.
Say you had the lights on and the battery died in the remote, the lights would stay on. You just couldn't use the remote/wireless part.
I guess you could argue that if you wanted to turn the lights on and you were at the remote, and the battery is dead, you couldn't turn the lights on.
I wonder if the CMP made a statement explaining exactly the type of switch they are referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.