NEC 220.53 and Gas Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Is a gas range considered an appliance fastened in place if it needs a circuit for ignition? Does the ignition circuit get included in the calculation as part of NEC 220.53?

JoeStillman

Gas ranges usually have a cord and plug. It has a light bulb in the oven and a clock in addition to the ignition circuit. It goes on one of the two 20A circuits of 210.11(C) and it's load is included in the 1500VA of 220.52(A). The electrical connected load of a gas range is negligible.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Gas ranges usually have a cord and plug. It has a light bulb in the oven and a clock in addition to the ignition circuit. It goes on one of the two 20A circuits of 210.11(C) and it's load is included in the 1500VA of 220.52(A). The electrical connected load of a gas range is negligible.
Exactly what I thought... my boss disagrees. I'll try convincing him, but if it doesn't work, can't do nothing about it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Exactly what I thought... my boss disagrees. I'll try convincing him, but if it doesn't work, can't do nothing about it.
Ask him how he would treat a counter-top plug-in microwave, or a coffee maker, or a toaster oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.