NEC 220.53 Application Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibertyEngineering

Hello - I posted these questions in a previous post with other questions but no one replied to them so I am posting it individually.

Question #1
Looking at 220.53. Individual fasted in place appliances, do Electric Water heaters apply to this?

Question #2
Is a microwave considered fastened in place if located above the range but if just sitting on the kitchen countertop it is not?

I ask because if I have a dishwasher a microwave and an electric water heater (if this applies) I need to take the load at 100% of all 3 for the final calculations. If I add a garbage disposal to the total I can use the 75% demand factor for all 4. It would be to your benefit to add the 4th appliance in your calcs depending on the load you use for the 4th appliance it can benefit the over all final load.

There are obviously many scenarios in with this that could apply here is one where it is to your benefit.

20 apartments
3 appliances @ 1kVA each = 60kVA @ 100%

Add a 4th @ .5 kVA
3 appliances @ 1kVA each = 60kVA
1 appliance @ .5kVA each = 10kVA

60+10 = 70 x .75 = 52.5kVA

Thanks for your replies

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Hello - I posted these questions in a previous post with other questions but no one replied to them so I am posting it individually.

Question #1
Looking at 220.53. Individual fasted in place appliances, do Electric Water heaters apply to this?
yes
Question #2
Is a microwave considered fastened in place if located above the range but if just sitting on the kitchen countertop it is not?
no
Thanks for your replies
your welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.