NEC 230.46 Insulated piercing connectors for line side?

GT Colin

New User
Occupation
Distributor
Hey all. I have a customer who is failing a solar inspection in Kirkland, WA because apparently the Kirkland inspectors are now starting to enforce NEC 230.46 and won't allow them to use NSI IPC 4/0 2/0 piercing connectors because they don't have this qualification.
We supply them regularly with loads of material, but no idea what alternative I can offer these guys to get them a line side connector that will meet this standard.

I have lots of options for sourcing materials, but does anyone have a go-to for these?

Thank you for your time!

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Hopefully UL is keeping this link up to date:

In which case these would be your only options. Didn't check if there are any insulation-piercing connectors on the list.

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
None of the NSI connectors on the UL list start with "IPC". Not sure if there are any of the insulation piercing type on either of the lists that you can get to from the UL link posted by Wayne.

Note, this does not mean that there cannot be products listed by other listing agencies. It is just that it is typically more more difficult to find what product standard a specific product is listed to, when it is listed by an agency other than UL.