NEC 517 exam rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
517.13 Grounding of Receptacles and Fixed Electrical Equipment in Patient Care Areas.
It still wouldn't matter its not approved 517.13 directs you to 250.118 as others have said.

Here LA City Testing Lab is just like UL or ETL or any of the other. The code says that you can't use flex for grounding in lenghts over 6', the test lab says that you can use it the way I described and so we accept it.

Now no one uses it because all you young guys are hung up on this new fangled MC cable, that's just like the NMC cable that no one liked originally.

MarkyMarkNC

Keep in mind that the exception to 517.13(B) for lights above 7.5 Feet only allows you to eliminate the insulated copper EGC the wiring method itself must still qualify as the EGC so standard MC is not permitted to connect luminaires in patient care areas even if they are 8 feet above the floor.

Chris

Which is what I said in post # 10 ;)

Roger

The way I've always seen it interpreted around here is that above 7.5 feet is not considered a "patient care area" and that standard MC is allowed for lights above 7.5 feet. Since if it is not a patient care area, 517.13(A) and (B) would not even apply.

The code allows the engineer or facility to deem what is and is not a patient care area, and since the term "patient vicinity" also uses the 7.5 foot limit, I believe that is the reasoning behind allowing it. I'm not sure if this is an official NC Department Of Insurance interpretation, or not.

I have never wired a light above 7.5 feet with HCF, and I probably have done a dozen dentist or doctors offices, just this year alone.

I did get tripped up one time many years ago, not realizing that a dentist lights attached to the ceiling can be extended down well past the 7.5 foot limit, though. :slaphead:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Mark,you may have gotten away with it but that doesn't make it correct, click here for a good article on Patient Room and Vicinty grounding.

Roger

david

Here LA City Testing Lab is just like UL or ETL or any of the other. The code says that you can't use flex for grounding in lenghts over 6', the test lab says that you can use it the way I described and so we accept it.

Now no one uses it because all you young guys are hung up on this new fangled MC cable, that's just like the NMC cable that no one liked originally.

A) Wiring Methods. All branch circuits serving patient care areas shall be provided with an effective ground-fault current path by installation in a metal raceway system, or a cable having a metallic armor or sheath assembly. The metal raceway system, or metallic cable armor, or sheath assembly shall itself qualify as an equipment grounding conductor

If 517.13 stopped there you would be all right. But it doesn’t it goes on to say “in accordance with 250.118.” So it wouldn’t mater if UL approved it as an equipment ground. 517.13 still limits you to the equipment grounds listed in 250.118

Status
Not open for further replies.