NEC 610

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
How do I size 3ph conductors for the bare copper rail on an overhead crane? I assume in general the hoist and trolley motors are fed from different sources?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
I ask the crane company :LOL: (or get the nameplate info). After that, most of the bridge cranes I've seen use one set of conductor rails to supply everything that moves. Looks like 610.14(E) covers sizing.

That’s great if 610.14(E) is all that’s needed for sizing. 610.32 requires a disconnecting means for the hoists. You’re saying the power source for the hoist comes from the track itself?

Every bridge/traveling crane I've seen has supply rails (tracks) that supply everything that moves. I suppose there could be multiple sets, but that does depend on the actual crane- something like a 5-10 ton unit is likely to have only one set of rails.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Every bridge/traveling crane I've seen has supply rails (tracks) that supply everything that moves. I suppose there could be multiple sets, but that does depend on the actual crane- something like a 5-10 ton unit is likely to have only one set of rails.

That makes it simple. Thanks a lot for your feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.