NEC and Marking the Grounded Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any where in the NEC that requires that a neutral to be marked completely with tape in a J-Box or LP panel.
I have been under the impression that a few wraps of white tape will do the job, per 200.6.

Let me clarify this question, is there a rule that you must tape a entire grounded conductor completely in a panel or just a mark at the termination, as per 200.6E Exception1.
The rule for 200.6A is for a continuous conductor and you can not use tape, it must be the conductors outer insulation is white etc.

kwired

Electron manager
Let me clarify this question, is there a rule that you must tape a entire grounded conductor completely in a panel or just a mark at the termination, as per 200.6E Exception1.
The rule for 200.6A is for a continuous conductor and you can not use tape, it must be the conductors outer insulation is white etc.

I have never been rejected with just a single "ring" of white or gray near the end of the conductor.

Same with green on equipment grounding conductors.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

There is no definite answer, kinda like "nearest the point of entrance" but the article section would be 200.6 (B)(4)

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

Just to be perfectly clear, although the preceding seems to have been clear enough to me:
1. 200.6(E) applies only to multiconductor cable (which includes NM and UF) and not to individual wires or flexible cord.
2. The exception to the above applies only when maintenance and supervision requirements are met. I doubt that residential would qualify, nor many commercial applications for that matter.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
For wire sizes 4AWG and larger you are correct. 6AWG or smaller has to continuous white outer finish.
Back when dinosaurs walked the earth and all PV systems were grounded on the DC side, the #10 grounded DC negative conductor was virtually always marked with white tape and conversely virtually never a white insulated conductor.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
(B) Sizes 4 AWG or Larger. An insulated grounded con-
ductor 4 AWG or larger shall be identified by one of the fol-
lowing means:

4) At the time of installation, by a distinctive white or gray
marking at its terminations. This marking shall encircle
the conductor or insulation.

To me all it says is that you need a wrap of tape at the end of the wire where it goes into the lug. That's all I do. I have seen guys use six to ten inches worth of wraps. I never have done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.