NEC articles that might apply to PV arrays floating on water

Status
Not open for further replies.

pv_n00b

I'm going through the NEC looking at what might apply to floating PV arrays and I was wondering if people are applying 555 for marinas and docks. If it does apply what would take precedence when 555 and 690 disagree? Since they are both special sections it's not clear how that works.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'm going through the NEC looking at what might apply to floating PV arrays and I was wondering if people are applying 555 for marinas and docks. If it does apply what would take precedence when 555 and 690 disagree? Since they are both special sections it's not clear how that works.

555.1 Scope. This article covers the installation of wiring and
equipment in the areas comprising fixed or floating piers,
wharves, docks, and other areas in marinas, boatyards, boat
basins, boathouses, yacht clubs, boat condominiums, docking
facilities associated with one-family dwellings, two-family dwellings,
multifamily dwellings, and residential condominiums; any
multiple docking facility or similar occupancies; and facilities
that are used, or intended for use, for the purpose of repair,
berthing, launching, storage, or fueling of small craft and the
moorage of floating buildings.

Does your installation come within the scope of article 555 as 555.1 defines that scope?

If it is just floating offshore I don't see how article 555 could possibly apply.

pv_n00b

Does your installation come within the scope of article 555 as 555.1 defines that scope?

If it is just floating offshore I don't see how article 555 could possibly apply.

That is the problem. Nothing in 690 covers floating PV so floating PV gets installed like it's a ground mount which seems to ignore some obvious dangers from being on the water. NEC 555 covers floating structures where there is power and people working, seems like it might be compatible. I'm open to other suggestions.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... floating PV gets installed like it's a ground mount which seems to ignore some obvious dangers from being on the water. ....

Just curious: What are "some obvious dangers from being on the water"? Can you give some examples?

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I'm not seeing the issues here.

Why is an energized conductor falling in the water more of an "obvious danger" than say, an energized conductor falling on wet grass in a rainstorm?
I'm not particularly familiar with 690, so I will ask:
Can you give some examples of where 555 and 690 disagree?​

As noted, 555 scope does not appear to apply, so how about applying 553, floating buildings?​

Where I am headed is: This looks like an excellent opportunity to make your mark.
What are the specific, additional dangers associated with an off-shore PV system? (Not the obvious, but rather the specific)
What changes/additions would you add to 690 to mitigate?​

Submit your changes for the next code cycle. I'll be interested.

pv_n00b

I am around marinas a lot, there are issues with electricity and water that require special requirements, hence the existence of NEC 555. The question is, how do the issues that have been clearly identified and addressed in 555 for floating docks apply to floating docks with PV modules and related BOS on them? It's clear that these are floating docks, but they are not used to secure small craft so 555 does not specifically apply to PV on docks. Unless someone takes a boat out to the PV array and ties up to it, then it would apply. It's a very arbitrary definition to say the least.

I've already made my mark on the NEC and I'm not looking to make my mark here, I'm looking to make safer PV installations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.