NEC Code Adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellison2526

New User
Occupation
Building Department
Hello Everyone,

I was curious with other's experience with municipalities and their current adopted NEC code. I understand that municipalities have an adopted edition of the NEC listed in the code of ordinances. Are they limited by only the adopted edition in the ordnance or do they apply the important safety updates listed in each code edition when its published. I'm not sure if the ordinance language can state that the municipality adopts the new edition each time a new NEC code is published. We have currently adopted the 2014 edition. I'm sure this can get confusing when having to check which edition a municipality has adopted every time you work in a different municipality.

Thanks,

Jason

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here in NJ we have a unified statewide electrical code with no local amendments permitted. IMO that is the best system to avoid the stuff that happens in the state right over the border with home rule nonsense.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
TN municipalities can use the State Code (2017 NEC with amendments) or adopt their own municipal Code but it can not be less stringent than the State Code (it can be more stringent)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NC has one code adoption and it is for the entire state. I know it gets crazy in some states where each area has their own thing going on.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
WA state goes thru a long process to adopt the NEC, typically Sept of the code year. And that is often too soon as some of the issues are not know that early in the code cycle. We have a document that modifies and amends the code
Its a state code but local agencies can adopt there own version. There is a group of cities near seattle that have there own amendments as a group. The state document that modifies the code is broken into sections, so a city can adopt the section on the just the code and not the section on permit fees

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I know it gets crazy in some states where each area has their own thing going on.
Like New York State which is totally corrupt to the point where indvidual villages require their own license testing and licenses, not to mention a fat licensing fee.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hello Everyone,

I was curious with other's experience with municipalities and their current adopted NEC code. I understand that municipalities have an adopted edition of the NEC listed in the code of ordinances. Are they limited by only the adopted edition in the ordnance or do they apply the important safety updates listed in each code edition when its published. I'm not sure if the ordinance language can state that the municipality adopts the new edition each time a new NEC code is published. We have currently adopted the 2014 edition. I'm sure this can get confusing when having to check which edition a municipality has adopted every time you work in a different municipality.

Thanks,

Jason
They can only legally enforce the rules that were in the edition that they adopted. Any changes must be adopted in the same manner that the code itself was adopted.
This becomes a problem with the electronic editions of the NEC where any approved and issued TIAs are added to the electronic text with nothing to show that those are changes from the originally published edition. Even the TIAs that are automatically incorporated into the text of the NEC, need to be individually adopted to be legally enforceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.