NEC Kitchen Definition - Need opinions

SparkyAdam

Occupation
Electrician/Small Business Owner
NEC defines a kitchen as " an area with a sink and permanent provisions for food preparation and cooking."

I am curious if you would classify the attached image as a kitchen, using the NEC definition of such. There is a sink, a mini fridge below the cabinet, and a microwave. I believe the microwave is NOT built-in; it just sits on the cabinet, as shown in the image.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-11 092643.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-11 092643.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 20

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Unless it;s been resoled by later Code editions if I recall correctly based on the '17 Code that is a forever debated subject and addressed differently by jurisdiction most often dependent on the micro being fastened or easily removed. It normally ends up being a AHJ call.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Unless it;s been resoled by later Code editions if I recall correctly based on the '17 Code that is a forever debated subject and addressed differently by jurisdiction most often dependent on the micro being fastened or easily removed. It normally ends up being a AHJ call.
You are correct, sir! My jurisdiction did not allow a microwave oven or hot plate to be considered as permanent cooking appliances.
I did agree with that assessment.

Ron

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I once worked on a project for which this was a key issue. It was a large personnel housing building on a military base. The presence or absence of kitchens in each unit had a huge impact on the service calculation. The concensus was that a microwave sitting on the countertop did not a kitchen make, but one in an upper cabinet did (even if it was not secured in place). The architect called for cabinet mounting.

My opinion is that your photo does show a kitchen, per the NEC definition.

Washington state expanded the definition to say essentially that if you will use the sink to wash your cereal bowl and spoon, you are in a kitchen.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
My opinion is you have a kitchen, but only if the microwave is built in. In analyzing, you have "provisions" which is modified by the adjective "permanent" and also the prepositional phrase "for food preparation and cooking" where "preparation" and "cooking" describe actions related to "food."

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I fail to understand the difference between a microwave sitting on the counter and a stove sitting on the floor for the purposes of the definition of a kitchen.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Don, to me it's all about the amount of time that routinely elapses between the days that you move it out of the way so that you can clean under and behind it. It's not a matter of whether any screws or other fasteners are stopping you from moving it. I am not being facetious. The word, "permanent" applies more clearly to one than to the other.

farmantenna

it needs better definition but screw it to the cabinet and it's permanent. Crappy provisions for cooking but you use a microwave for cooking. Nothing is truely permanent because I could remove a microwave,dishwasher or a range by myself depending on if there are stairs. I've done all three.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don, to me it's all about the amount of time that routinely elapses between the days that you move it out of the way so that you can clean under and behind it. It's not a matter of whether any screws or other fasteners are stopping you from moving it. I am not being facetious. The word, "permanent" applies more clearly to one than to the other.
I just don't see it that way, especially since the CMP that has this definition has a published panel comment that says "nothing is permanent".

brycenesbitt

NEC defines a kitchen as " an area with a sink and permanent provisions for food preparation and cooking."
I am curious if you would classify the attached image as a kitchen, using the NEC definition of such. There is a sink, a mini fridge below the cabinet, and a microwave. I believe the microwave is NOT built-in; it just sits on the cabinet, as shown in the image.
Ha.
Well in my work area that is not only a kitchen, but presence of that setup would render it a habitable unit as defined by our local rent control ordinance.
--
The duck test says it's a kitchen. Ask yourself "will this area be used in the way a kitchen is used"?