NEC Requirement for Protection of Exposed Fire Alarm Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2-Inc

I'm looking for the proper reference in NEC for the protection of fire alarm circuits (i.e. exposed, or protected in conduit, walls, armored, etc...).

I don't believe it's in 760, and I thought that if the wiring was below 7' it couldn't be run exposed. I'm trying to find where it is, and how I get there from 760, for or either "Power Limited" or "Non-Power Limited" circuits. I believe the requirement allows certain types of cables such as MC to be exposed, but I'm having a heck of a time finding it.

My problem is that the electrical contractor is running the circuit in conduit overhead (horizontal) and then 90? down to a manual station. At the 5' elevation, the cable comes out of the conduit (exposed) and enters the bottom of the manual station. This saves on the labor and material expense of a 90? bend, a TEE fitting, and a drain (this conduit is outdoors). I'm not sure what type of cable he is using yet, so I'm also trying to find out what type of cable would permit this installation method.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

nhfire77

I'm looking for the proper reference in NEC for the protection of fire alarm circuits (i.e. exposed, or protected in conduit, walls, armored, etc...).

I don't believe it's in 760, and I thought that if the wiring was below 7' it couldn't be run exposed. I'm trying to find where it is, and how I get there from 760, for or either "Power Limited" or "Non-Power Limited" circuits. I believe the requirement allows certain types of cables such as MC to be exposed, but I'm having a heck of a time finding it.

My problem is that the electrical contractor is running the circuit in conduit overhead (horizontal) and then 90? down to a manual station. At the 5' elevation, the cable comes out of the conduit (exposed) and enters the bottom of the manual station. This saves on the labor and material expense of a 90? bend, a TEE fitting, and a drain (this conduit is outdoors). I'm not sure what type of cable he is using yet, so I'm also trying to find out what type of cable would permit this installation method.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

760.71 I think its that. I found this on the coman cable site regarding cable protection

"In metal raceways or rigid nonmetallic conduit where passing through a floor or wall to a height of 7 feet above the floor, unless adequate protection can be afforded by the building construction"

7 feet is the correct answer though.

ron

760.71 I think its that. I found this on the coman cable site regarding cable protection

"In metal raceways or rigid nonmetallic conduit where passing through a floor or wall to a height of 7 feet above the floor, unless adequate protection can be afforded by the building construction"

7 feet is the correct answer though.

Which version of the NEC has 760.71? I'm not familair with the 7' being documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.