NEC section 300.4 and 1/16” steel protection plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggyant

Is there a reason you can’t make your own 1/16” steel protection plate to satisfy section 300.4? I’ve used and seen a ton of the commercially available hammer on steel protection plates installed when you can’t maintain 1 1/4” of wood framing member but not any custom ones.

I don’t see where it says it’s not allowed. In fact
300.4 (D) exception no. 3 says that a plate is allowed to be thinner than 1/16” if it is “listed and marked” which leads me to believe that if the 1/16” of steel specification is maintained then a plate made in the field is acceptable.

Am I missing something or is it just something I haven’t seen before?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As long as you can prove that it is thick enough there should not be an issue.

Welcome to the forum but I should let you know that the forum rules will not allow us to help with diy projects. I let this go because it was relatively simple. Thanks for understanding

Shaggyant

As long as you can prove that it is thick enough there should not be an issue.

Welcome to the forum but I should let you know that the forum rules will not allow us to help with diy projects. I let this go because it was relatively simple. Thanks for understanding

It don’t want to be a bother. I’ve asked two licensed electricians in person and gotten blank stares and a “that should be ok” when I started citing the code sections. Then I posted on another forum and got some speculation both ways but no straight answer. I figured I’d go to the pro forum for a more educated opinion. Thank you for you understanding as well.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is nothing in that section that requires the steel plate to be listed or identified for that use only that it be a minimum of 1/16" thick.

Shaggyant

There is nothing in that section that requires the steel plate to be listed or identified for that use only that it be a minimum of 1/16" thick.

That’s how I understand what’s written in section 300.4. I just have never used or seen used something other than the stamped out two by sized plates with the spikes built in. Have you?

I'm working on a pole barn and there isn’t 1 1/4” behind the poles where the purlins are holding the steel siding on. I’d rather not run the NM up to ceiling height at every pole and drilling the post isn’t an option.

i was trying to attach photos of what i’m doing. Can’t seem to make it work on my phone.

Last edited:

JFletcher

That’s how I understand what’s written in section 300.4. I just have never used or seen used something other than the stamped out two by sized plates with the spikes built in. Have you?

I'm working on a pole barn and there isn’t 1 1/4” behind the poles where the purlins are holding the steel siding on. I’d rather not run the NM up to ceiling height at every pole and drilling the post isn’t an option.

i was trying to attach photos of what i’m doing. Can’t seem to make it work on my phone.

the standard nail on plate is roughly an inch and 1/2 by 3 and 1/2 inches. They are available in longer and wider sizes... Plumbers often use the larger sizes to protect there PVC piping in walls.

300.4 (A)(1) allows steel plates that are 1.6 mm or 1/16 of an inch thick to be used. They only need to be listed if they are thinner than that... Field made steel plates are fine provided the stock they are cut from is at least a 16th of an inch thick.

Personally, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to cut nailing plates out of steel stock over using pre-made plates which are dirt cheap.

kwired

Electron manager
the standard nail on plate is roughly an inch and 1/2 by 3 and 1/2 inches. They are available in longer and wider sizes... Plumbers often use the larger sizes to protect there PVC piping in walls.

300.4 (A)(1) allows steel plates that are 1.6 mm or 1/16 of an inch thick to be used. They only need to be listed if they are thinner than that... Field made steel plates are fine provided the stock they are cut from is at least a 16th of an inch thick.

Personally, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to cut nailing plates out of steel stock over using pre-made plates which are dirt cheap.
That is why most the time people use items made for the purpose - quick and easy and saves labor costs. Now if in a pinch and need just a couple plates and there is something else on site that will work, it may cost much less in lost time to cut what you need than to drive to shop, supply house, store, etc. just to pick up items designed for that purpose.

JFletcher

That is why most the time people use items made for the purpose - quick and easy and saves labor costs. Now if in a pinch and need just a couple plates and there is something else on site that will work, it may cost much less in lost time to cut what you need than to drive to shop, supply house, store, etc. just to pick up items designed for that purpose.

I agree, and that's one of the reasons I tried to make friends with the site plumber if possible. One, I hope they will tell me if they hit any of my wiring, two some of the stuff that use, like nail plates, is the same as we use. Years ago I had to hang 4" 3 inch conduits across a hotel lobby. I did not know how best to attach the superstrut to the wooden framing. Not only did the plumber show me, he wound up giving me about $300 worth of Sammies and associated hardware so I could do the job. I did not know until afterwards how much those fittings cost.

In most if not all cases, it would be cheaper to throw the plumber on the site a 20 and scarf some of his nail plates than to pull off and go to a supply house. it has been my experience that if you offer money up front most people will give you stuff for free, which is a discussion of psychology for another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.