NEC Strain Relief for Dryer

FishingJim

Occupation
Electrical Consultant
We just had a new electric dryer installed. The big box store insisted that I needed a new L14-30 power cord. When the installed attached the cord, he did not use a strain relief or bushing. The jacket had been stripped back enough that some of the conductors were sitting on the knockout. Potential fireworks.

Before I go in and have words with the business, I would like to know where I can find the appropriate section of the code.

Thank you.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
We just had a new electric dryer installed. The big box store insisted that I needed a new L14-30 power cord. When the installed attached the cord, he did not use a strain relief or bushing. The jacket had been stripped back enough that some of the conductors were sitting on the knockout. Potential fireworks.

Before I go in and have words with the business, I would like to know where I can find the appropriate section of the code.

Thank you.
It'll be in the manufacturers instructions for the pig tail.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It’s an appliance and not covered under the NEC which is for premise wiring. Burt we can look to other sections that require a strain relief or clamp for cords.
But first what do the installation instructions require?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
All the factory dryer (and range) cords I've purchased come with a dinky little two-piece clamp that serves as a grip.
Go back by big box and look at the cords,,,chances are you will see what I'm talking about.
Apparently, the installer chose not to use it.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Before you go take a picture of it missing and the bag with the part that was supposed to be put on.
Or go get the one they sold you and show them the part that was not installed.

I would also turn of the breaker unplug the dryer and remove wire access cover to be sure they removed the jumper from the ground( green screw ) to netural ( white wire). If not sure post pic.

When big blue delivered my dryer they told me that they had to install the cord for warranty. I ask, you a qualified person to install the cord to which he said he was.
I waited for him to get done and than ask him to fix and install correctly and informed him and his manager he is not a qualified installer. I loved it when he ask me what me think I'm qualified to tell him it's wrong. My wife said oh no and left the room.

Your dryer instructions will show you this jumper in the manual for a four wire hook up.

I say give them heck and good luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240308-160455.png
    Screenshot_20240308-160455.png
    191 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240308-160617.png
    Screenshot_20240308-160617.png
    463.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240308-160729.png
    Screenshot_20240308-160729.png
    166 KB · Views: 6

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would also turn of the breaker unplug the dryer and remove wire access cover to be sure they removed the jumper from the ground( green screw ) to netural
I had to correct my cousin's new dryer after it was delivered. They used a 4-wire cord to match the receptacle I installed, and put both the white and green on the neutral terminal. :eek:

FishingJim

Occupation
Electrical Consultant
It'll be in the manufacturers instructions for the pig tail.
The manufacturer calls out for a strain relief. The big box installers are two guys in a truck. They installed the cord with an electric drill. I presumed with a torque setting. Based on my experience, I stopped and made sure that each was tightened properly. They also managed to crush the dryer vent hose with one of the water lines when they pushed it back to the wall. Ain't it great.

If NEC doesn't cover it, I will try to see if NFPA has anything.

FishingJim

Occupation
Electrical Consultant
Before you go take a picture of it missing and the bag with the part that was supposed to be put on.
Or go get the one they sold you and show them the part that was not installed.

I would also turn of the breaker unplug the dryer and remove wire access cover to be sure they removed the jumper from the ground( green screw ) to netural ( white wire). If not sure post pic.

When big blue delivered my dryer they told me that they had to install the cord for warranty. I ask, you a qualified person to install the cord to which he said he was.
I waited for him to get done and than ask him to fix and install correctly and informed him and his manager he is not a qualified installer. I loved it when he ask me what me think I'm qualified to tell him it's wrong. My wife said oh no and left the room.

Your dryer instructions will show you this jumper in the manual for a four wire hook up.

I say give them heck and good luck.
I did verify that they had removed the jumper.

norcal

I prefer to scrap out the strain relief supplied with the cord, & use a Romex® connector. As GFCI requirements become more widespread, waiting on the havoc the installers create when they bond the neutral on a 4-wire install.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Add me to the list that uses 2-screw NM connectors. The clamps they include with the cords are garbage and a PITA to install. If they included a better clamp more installers might use them.

FishingJim

Occupation
Electrical Consultant
It’s an appliance and not covered under the NEC which is for premise wiring. Burt we can look to other sections that require a strain relief or clamp for cords.
But first what do the installation instructions require?
The manual calls out for a strain relief.

I also use a NM connector. If you are looking for something real nice, I have been loving and starting using these cord grip kits from American fittings. It's only like 5 bucks: