NEC vs City Code [City requiring electric utility to meet all their requirements]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
The energy code is a seperate code from the CA electric code. ( CA electric code is based on 2011 NEC) . I don't think they have a leg to stand on !

Oh! and a warm welcome to the Forum. :thumbsup:
So does CA electric code have 90.2(B) or equivalent?

Thank you for your insight. I have very little to no experience in this realm, and many of my colleagues do not. We have never encountered this much opposition with a city before. Usually we are always given our pass.

Would the state code supersede the city code? Or vice versa? For example, if the CA code exempts utilities from energy code, this city cannot enforce it?
Well I won't try to guess what the rules in CA are, here State still has to approve any local city amendments as the state ultimately has jurisdiction over the local AHJ's.

On the other hand, if they are enforcing NEC rules against standard utility wiring practices, that could get pretty expensive fast.
Guess who those costs get passed on to if they have to happen?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
So does CA electric code have 90.2(B) or equivalent?

Well I won't try to guess what the rules in CA are, here State still has to approve any local city amendments as the state ultimately has jurisdiction over the local AHJ's.

Guess who those costs get passed on to if they have to happen?

Yes CA has and adopted the 90.2 section. However the Energy code is not part of the Electric code and therefore it does not have such an exception. So whoever thought the CA codes do not apply to them are mistaken.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes CA has and adopted the 90.2 section. However the Energy code is not part of the Electric code and therefore it does not have such an exception. So whoever thought the CA codes do not apply to them are mistaken.
The general lighting in that building may be subject to NEC, most of the rest of what is in there is probably related to utility control and distribution and is exempt by 90.2. Many places may just exempt the general lighting as well as long as the primary function of the building is for utility control/generation/distribution but a strict interpretation may mean general lighting and other general use power circuits are subject to NEC (or CA code in this case).

I do agree energy efficiency code is a completely different area and will depend on what is written in such code and/or laws as to whether or not it may apply.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The general lighting in that building may be subject to NEC, most of the rest of what is in there is probably related to utility control and distribution and is exempt by 90.2. Many places may just exempt the general lighting as well as long as the primary function of the building is for utility control/generation/distribution but a strict interpretation may mean general lighting and other general use power circuits are subject to NEC (or CA code in this case).

I do agree energy efficiency code is a completely different area and will depend on what is written in such code and/or laws as to whether or not it may apply.

Yea and as unfortunate to the OP the CA building codes do not exempt the energy code from such an installation. The Electrical code only applies to wiring and related components. The energy code is a different animal. It covers lighting types, max wattage, HVAC, Building envelope. Then you have the Building code, Seismic issues and such. It's pretty clear. That is why the OP needs to stop wasting the valuable time with a Lawyer and build to the code. What Building official is going to allow otherwise. The wilful disregard can get him in trouble. Yes the city can override the Building official then he will be off the hook. However how much time will that take.

Status
Not open for further replies.