nec

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Re: nec

There could be many things wrong, but without more specific information it is impossible to say.

About the only time I see NM in PVC is a short sleeve for physical protection.

I have also been curious about this, but relating more to emt. Consider a dry, indoor location.
I would say that running an nm-b in emt from a panel to a box or device would be prohibited because the cable will not be securly supported when it enters the panel as per 334.30. What about stripping romex and using the individual conductors in emt? NM seems to be rather mysterious in that i have never seen the conductor insulation identified by type, 334.112 only states the temperature rating.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Electrofelon, see all the conduit (342 thru 362) .22 article sections in the 05 NEC, this clears this up and specifically allows cables in conduit and tubing.

Roger

midget

I saw it done once...well, I didn't actually see it, I saw the finished product after it was all pulled...looked *really* odd. I bet it's a pain to pull in conduit, too.

electricmanscott

Originally posted by speedypetey:
What's wrong with it is very much up to interpretation.
It's just real electricians don't ever do it.
:roll: [/qb]
I surrender my license to speedy petey. :roll:

[ December 11, 2004, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

speedypetey

Scott, you don't actually run NM in complete conduit systems, do you?
I am not questioning your abilities as a real electrician but this is, IMO, not common practice for us.
This has been debated since the dawn of man. The first lightning bolt was thought to have been carried through NM as I hear it.
The common consensus has always been it is bad practice except for a super-rare instance or only in short sections.

BTW- I don't need your license, I have my own thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.