NECA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Generally speaking what do you guys think of NECA labor units Compared to what it actually takes you? That is comparing the correct labor column to Your installation situation.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
On tasks that I've done a lot it is pretty close or a little higher. So I will use their numbers to get an idea for an installation that not as familiar with, or if there is a lot more than I've done in size comparison. There are times though it does seem high. Key is making sure you have all components of the installation included in the calculations, missing even just a few would leave way underestimating the job.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
must be used more in commercial and industrial. If I went off NECA for residential I would be broke from no work. Would like to use them. I do use them for jobs I don’t want.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I will tell you this. My brother used to manage a tire store that also did a lot of other work such as tune-ups, batteries, exhaust work, radiators etc. Pretty much everything except engine rebuild. All of his mechanics got paid out of the book. Some of his mechanics would work 40 hours in a week and get paid for 30 because that's how much the book said the work they were doing was worth. Others worked 40 hours and got paid for 60 or 70. This happened on a consistent basis.

The point is the guys who are really good can do a lot more than the guys who are under motivated or under experienced or just not very good.

The standard hours for anything are a starting point based on a mixture of the good bad and the ugly as far as the people doing the work. Your guys may be better or worse.

Incidentally, my brother also told me that the guys who tended to get more done usually effectively worked in teams. He was convinced that two guys could often do the work in less hours than one guy because the guys that helped each other and work together were the guys that were really productive.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I will tell you this. My brother used to manage a tire store that also did a lot of other work such as tune-ups, batteries, exhaust work, radiators etc. Pretty much everything except engine rebuild. All of his mechanics got paid out of the book. Some of his mechanics would work 40 hours in a week and get paid for 30 because that's how much the book said the work they were doing was worth. Others worked 40 hours and got paid for 60 or 70. This happened on a consistent basis.

The point is the guys who are really good can do a lot more than the guys who are under motivated or under experienced or just not very good.

The standard hours for anything are a starting point based on a mixture of the good bad and the ugly as far as the people doing the work. Your guys may be better or worse.

Incidentally, my brother also told me that the guys who tended to get more done usually effectively worked in teams. He was convinced that two guys could often do the work in less hours than one guy because the guys that helped each other and work together were the guys that were really productive.
That is so true! I worked with an old timer when I started and I was as green as grass. Took me a couple of years to get going. After that he and I working together could get 3 man days worth of work done in 1 day.

We didn't even talk to each other it was like we could read each others mind. I would here him stuffing a snake in a pipe and then he would be attaching the wires. I would just drop my tools and walk over and pull the snake before he had to ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.