Need a repair solution for this 120v step light

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Hello all,

A new customer has asked me to repair her deteriorating step lights. This is the light: https://www.amazon.com/Hadco-Lighting-RSC2-H-K5-I-Voltage-Aluminum/dp/B01BFWPLKU
You'll notice there is a screw in each corner, this screw holds the face plate to it's housing. Some screws are removable, but most are frozen to the housing because of major corrosion/oxidation. It's medium based socket was originally fastened to the housing but now the socket is just floating about. The only thing I could come up with is drill the heads off the screws and then hopefully find a slightly larger face plate and anchor that directly to the surrounding brick. Any ideas? Thanks!

MAC702

...Its medium based socket was originally fastened to the housing but now the socket is just floating about. The only thing I could come up with is drill the heads off the screws and then hopefully find a slightly larger face plate and anchor that directly to the surrounding brick. Any ideas? Thanks!

So it's an incandescent instead of the LED in the link? Is a larger faceplate going to need to be rainproofed to the brick for every lamp change?

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Drill it out, gut leaving the can, add a "bell" box inside to feed sealed LED fixture or fixtures cobbled in replace old cover. Unless you can gut and reinstall parts from a new fixture.

growler

The one customer review of the product doesn't sound like a happy camper. He states that after two winters the fixtures need to be replaced.

I hate to see people throw good money after bad so I would seriously consider replacing with a different fixture.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Do you have any pictures of what you have to work with? Like the box behind the trim?

mark32

Thanks for the replies!

MAC702 - I didn't realize the light in my link was led, my bad. Hmm, you bring up a good point about re-rainproofing the face plate after relamping. Originally thought about using a nice bead of rtv, but getting some gasket material and cutting it to size would be a better choice.

Sameguy - I like the idea of stuffing a bell box into the housing (6" across x 3.5" deep x 3" high), just have to find an appropriate fixture that would cover the housing.

Growler - It's funny, the guy in that review described this scenario perfectly, although these lights are much older. There's a handwritten date on the one label I removed with a date of 1995.

Chamuit - I did snap a pic of the box, I'll try to upload it tomorrow.

Gadfly - Never heard of Kroil, is that an alternative for PB Blaster?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yep. I've used it when I had it. Usually buy PB Blaster when I'm actually purchasing, though.

There's Kan-O-Kroil and Aero-Kroil, depending on whether it's a standard can of it, or a spray can.

Kroil has been around since God was a little boy. It's only in the last few years (decade?) they got the idea they could sell to the public direct instead of trying to push 55-gallon drums to machine shops or make you buy a 6-pack of gallon cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.