need any nec art.s allowing temp. running of equipment for testing/construction sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullheimer

i had called for re inspect of my ufer ground, however, the new sfr under construction got hit for a myriad of things here in WA that only a finished house needs, like afci protection on the outlets.

i know about the requirement for temp power for personnel to be gfi protected, and i think there is something about temp lighting, but in particular, is there any section allowing festoon lighting to be just connected with wire nuts and flying slices?

also is there any provision to allow for heat to be temporarily operated for the sheet rock tapers? i have often seen them just connect a pigtail to the panel to get 240Vs. so i am wondering why the inspector nailed and fined me for using a flying splice to operate a heat pump long enough for tapers to dry their mud. i have seen the festoon lighting with flying splices on a u.s. govt job in the late 90's and am hoping i can use whatever article allows this as some kind of defense against this being a "severe" safety hazard with a $1000 fine i just got. the heat was not being operated at the time of inspection, either. (the reason it was temporarily hooked up was there was no siding yet. i did not want them siding over the k.o.'s in the disconnect. in retrospect, i should have had them install a mounting block, but that is moot now)

also, if anybody can site anything that says a house is still a construction site until it's finished, that would be great. as it is, it still does not satisfy the definition of a dwelling as there is no installed cooking, no beds, not even the toilet or any running water! the inspector was just hired and is apparently into writing as many corrections as he can. thx in advance for any help. :(

iwire

Staff member
You want to read all of article 590, it is fairly short but has the answers to your questions.

Anything that is not modified by article 590 has to be done the same way permanent wiring is done.

For instance the grounding of service does not change just because it is temporary.

jumper

You want to read all of article 590, it is fairly short but has the answers to your questions.

Anything that is not modified by article 590 has to be done the same way permanent wiring is done.

For instance the grounding of service does not change just because it is temporary.

And check local laws, for example VA has additional rules besides 590 for temp power at construction sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.