need disconnect ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
A new service disconnect feeds a ATS inside a shelter 200' away. The ATS doesnt have a disconnect on Line side of switch. is there a requirement for a disconnect and does the disconnect need to be fused or unfused.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
A new service disconnect feeds a ATS inside a shelter 200' away. The ATS doesnt have a disconnect on Line side of switch. is there a requirement for a disconnect and does the disconnect need to be fused or unfused.
Either the transfer switch has a service disconnect in front of it or it is a service rated transfer switch. Which do you have?

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Either the transfer switch has a service disconnect in front of it or it is a service rated transfer switch. Which do you have?

yes Sir. The Automatic transfer switch doesnt have a disconnect on line side. The disconnect feeds straight into the ATS from 200' away.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
To be clear (or correct me)- there is no disconnect physically right next to the ATS, but it is fed from a disconnect 200' away, and that's the service disconnect. Yes?

(So the ATS does have a line-side disconnect.)

the is no line side disconnect at or near ATS.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
???? Huh?
What is ahead of the transfer switch, just wires or some kind of overcurrent device?

the service disconnect is located 200' away. there is no disconnect or breaker at or neat ATS on line side into switch. my question is would a disconnect be required closer to ATS or not.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
the service disconnect is located 200' away. there is no disconnect or breaker at or neat ATS on line side into switch. my question is would a disconnect be required closer to ATS or not.
If you are asking if you need a main on the building then the short answer is no. 230.70 is a place to start.

Are the conductors going to the building protected at or below their ampacity? Local rules may come into play also, for instance, in my neck of the woods a service disconnect is required to be on the outside of a building.

kwired

Electron manager
Does this "shelter" just house the generator or is that the main structure that is being supplied?

Sounds like if the service disconnect is 200 feet away on another structure then you have a structure supplied by a feeder - which still requires a disconnecting means. See art 225 part II instead of 230 regarding the building or structure supplied by a feeder.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Does this "shelter" just house the generator or is that the main structure that is being supplied?

Sounds like if the service disconnect is 200 feet away on another structure then you have a structure supplied by a feeder - which still requires a disconnecting means. See art 225 part II instead of 230 regarding the building or structure supplied by a feeder.

The meter loop is on H frame located 200' away. The shelter and generator are would be considered separate structure. i appreciate everyone's help and input
especially when the add NEC code reference. Thanks

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician

since the service disconnect has OCPD. would the disconnect at shelter require fused or non fused disconnect. Where would i find code reference where a disconnect needs to be fused or non fused.

kwired

Electron manager
since the service disconnect has OCPD. would the disconnect at shelter require fused or non fused disconnect. Where would i find code reference where a disconnect needs to be fused or non fused.
Which NEC edition applies? 2014 relaxed the requirement that it be suitable for use as service equipment. See 225.36.

Status
Not open for further replies.