Need for Grounded Outlets in Rentals? - Landlord responsibilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
As inspectors we get these kinds of call all the time. "the house has aluminum wiring can you give me the code section that says he has to replace it?" "The seller is refusing to put GFCI receptacles where they're required." "The house was built in 1957, aren't smoke detectors required?"

Should these things be done? I don't know, not really up to me to say, it's worked this long like it is. Last house I rented I swaped electrical work for rent, worked out for both of us, he got all new receptacles and a service change and some fans hung and I didn't have to come up with all of the rent a few times.

pfalcon

... Last house I rented I swaped electrical work for rent, worked out for both of us, he got all new receptacles and a service change and some fans hung and I didn't have to come up with all of the rent a few times.

Which can work great as long as the tenant is a licensed (per state requirements) electrician and you remember to give him a bill to apply to the rent. If something goes wrong then he can be held liable if he can't show a professional did the work. Some insurance won't cover your liability if you can't show it was done for fee.

It's actually best if he gives you a rent receipt as paid when you hand him a bill marked paid. Neither should reference that either was paid through barter, just that they're paid. Even charity should do the same: hand you a receipt for monetary sums received while you hand them a bill marked paid. Thus we create a valid and binding contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.