Need help finding load of building

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyoh

Hello everyone. I am pretty new to electrical contracting and am still learning new things everyday wheter it's out in the field or in the office. I'm loving it. Well, here's my question:
I'm trying to bid on a small job at 2489 square feet. They don't tell me what the actual load is for the suite. They are asking me to provide adequate power for a 6 watt per square foot system, not including the HVAC unit. How am i supposed to find what size panel i will be needing?? Oh... it is a 480v / 3 phase system.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
All you can do with the information they provided is to multiply 6 watts per square foot times 2489 square feet, and get about15KVA. To that you add heating and cooling. I would presume that any watt used in the facility must be removed by the cooling system, so I would add 15KVA for HVAC. That puts you at 30 KVA. At 480 volt three phase, that equates to about 36 amps (30,000 divided by 480 and divided again by the square root of three). So I would plan on a minimum size panel and service/feeder of 100 amps. I would also state, very explicitly, that this was the basis of my bid, and that any power requirements that exceed this value will be handled for an extra cost.

Welcome to the forum.

johnnyoh

thanks

thanks

Charlie, I would like to thank you for your input and knowledge. I respect the fact that you would spend a little bit of your time to pass on knowledge to people like me. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.