Need help please

FranklinMade

Occupation
Electrician Apprentice
The minimum neutral demand on an apartment service for eleven 8KW ranges would be?
A. 88kw
B. 32kw
C. 20.8kw
D. 19.7kw

Off top I would eliminate A & B
The answer key is giving D as the correct answer but can’t seem to come up with it on my own 🤷‍♂️

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Look at col. B in the table 220.55 and then use 220.61. Remember to multiply 11 x 8kw = 88kw then use the demands
The minimum neutral demand on an apartment service for eleven 8KW ranges would be?
A. 88kw
B. 32kw
C. 20.8kw
D. 19.7kw

Off top I would eliminate A & B
The answer key is giving D as the correct answer but can’t seem to come up with it on my own 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
IMO, (D) is not correct because it states the minimum. If you use Column C you get 26kw x .7 = 18.2 kw
If you use Column B, it works. 11 ranges at 8 kw, times the 32% demand factor, times the 70% neutral load factor.
88 x .32 = 28.16
28.16 x .7 = 19.712.

However since using column C would result in a lower total load, I would be using that for my building load calculations.

FranklinMade

Occupation
Electrician Apprentice
Look at col. B in the table 220.55 and then use 220.61. Remember to multiply 11 x 8kw = 88kw then use the demands
Yes I believe I
If you use Column B, it works. 11 ranges at 8 kw, times the 32% demand factor, times the 70% neutral load factor.
88 x .32 = 28.16
28.16 x .7 = 19.712.

However since using column C would result in a lower total load, I would be using that for my building load calculations.
thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
88 x .32 = 28.16
28.16 x .7 = 19.712.

Yes that is exactly what I was stating but I was wondering if maybe I missed somewhere where it said that the larger of the 2. I had not seen it so again "D" is an incorrect answer but you will get the answer if you use column B

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes that is exactly what I was stating but I was wondering if maybe I missed somewhere where it said that the larger of the 2. I had not seen it so again "D" is an incorrect answer but you will get the answer if you use column B
If what you posted is all of the words from the question and is exactly what the question asked, then, in my opinion their answer is not correct. There are very important little details in these types of questions that can make a difference when you are taking the test.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If what you posted is all of the words from the question and is exactly what the question asked, then, in my opinion their answer is not correct. There are very important little details in these types of questions that can make a difference when you are taking the test.

Unless there is a reason that Col. C cannot be used then I agree that the test question is incorrect which I stated in post #3.

If I were taking this exam I would use both methods and see if one worked but it isn't correct. It would be interesting if they had both answers as a choice. hahaha