Need Help With GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Carr

We are installing ice melt heat tape at a warehouse.There will be two runs at 350' each at 277 volts.I just found out that the Sq D panel were coming of from has no GFI breakers available. Ideas? Thanks, Ed

ceknight

Ed Carr said:
We are installing ice melt heat tape at a warehouse.There will be two runs at 350' each at 277 volts.I just found out that the Sq D panel were coming of from has no GFI breakers available. Ideas?

Sub to a panel you can get the breakers for, maybe?

iwire

Staff member
I believe you will want GFP protection not GFCI protection. 426.28

I know with Siemens this required a shunt trip 277 volt breaker with an external CT that the conductors had to be passed through.

iwire

Staff member
426.28 is the NEC section that requires GFP Ground fault Protection which is not exactly the same as GFCI protection.

At 277 volts there is no requirement for GFCI protection.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Several years ago I installed de-icing cables on the rooves at a small strip mall. The circuits were all 30 amp, 120 volt. I was able to purchase s/p GFCI breakers from Siemens (at about $150.00 @ BTW) that tripped at 30 ma instead of the std 5ma. After the job got inspected the inspector told me that GFCI protection was not required for this application. None of the outdoor receptacles are readily accessable. I felt better having the circuits GFCI protected though seeing as how the gutters and leaders were all metal.

I know this probably doesn't help you but I would find out if GFP is required or not before making an investment.

iwire

Staff member
goldstar said:
After the job got inspected the inspector told me that GFCI protection was not required for this application. None of the outdoor receptacles are readily accessible.

Accessible or not the fact they where 30 amp circuits means 210.8 does not apply so GFCI protection is not required.

but I would find out if GFP is required or not before making an investment.

426.28 does require that all circuits supplying "Fixed Electric Deicing and Snow-Melting Equipment" have Ground Fault Protection unless they are they types listed in 426.28.

Take a look at Article 100 and you can see that GFCI is different then GFP.

Status
Not open for further replies.