Need Murray Meter Socket Guts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I have a customer that has corroded terminals on his 100 amp Murray ring type meter socket and I am trying to find a new socket that I can take the guts out and use them in the old socket. I can't get a cat No. from the existing. It appears to be about 15-20 years old. The socket is really small. It measures 7-1/2 inches wide and 8-1/8 inch high. If I can't find a way to replace the socket guts he will have to upgrade the whole service.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have a customer that has corroded terminals on his 100 amp Murray ring type meter socket and I am trying to find a new socket that I can take the guts out and use them in the old socket. I can't get a cat No. from the existing. It appears to be about 15-20 years old. The socket is really small. It measures 7-1/2 inches wide and 8-1/8 inch high. If I can't find a way to replace the socket guts he will have to upgrade the whole service.

Not trying to be funny here, try asking an old electrician around your area that has worked for himself for many years. These guys never throw anything away, and are usually glad to supply a part that they hated to throw away if someone could use it.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Not trying to be funny here, try asking an old electrician around your area that has worked for himself for many years. These guys never throw anything away, and are usually glad to supply a part that they hated to throw away if someone could use it.

Or ask your POCO service guys. I've seen many a meter socket put back together with parts stashed on their truck.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Good tip. My boss is the son of one of those old electricians and we have tons of old parts.
Or ask your POCO service guys. I've seen many a meter socket put back together with parts stashed on their truck.
Good tip again. I remember working on an old, old service for an old, old lady. Pair of burnt up meter lugs was the problem. Lineman dug around in the bottom of his bins and I dug around in the bottom of mine. Between the two of us we had the right lugs.

satcom

I am one of the older electricians, and never saved old used electrical equipment, I guess my view was electrical work should not be at a handyman level, my customer is my golden egg

electricguy

I am one of the older electricians, and never saved old used electrical equipment, I guess my view was electrical work should not be at a handyman level, my customer is my golden egg

We would have to make sure that the meter Socket was marked suitable for service equipment, if the lable has fallen off we would have to replace

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I am one of those (sort of), and my truck is full of old meter base parts. I generally give them to the younger electricians to make repairs such as this.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I understand your point, but why replace the entire base just because of a burnt lug? Isn't that like replacing the entire circuit just because the receptacle burned out?

mkgrady

I'm with you. As much as I would like to have an old part to make this work I don't save any old parts because they take up a lot of room and time to organize

We would have to make sure that the meter Socket was marked suitable for service equipment, if the lable has fallen off we would have to replace

I would not hesitate to replace an exact part with or without a label

I am one of those (sort of), and my truck is full of old meter base parts. I generally give them to the younger electricians to make repairs such as this.

I barely have enough room to haul around the parts I use every day. I throw away old stuff.

I understand your point, but why replace the entire base just because of a burnt lug? Isn't that like replacing the entire circuit just because the receptacle burned out?

I wish it were just a lug. I'm going to replace all the guts to this socket or I am going to replace the whole socket. The whole socket will cause me to have to replace the whole service (I called the AHJ and that's what he requires because the main panel is old fuses).

Lep

changing out guts of panel

changing out guts of panel

I stopped changing out panel gutts, once I got
educated on UL listing and liability.I now
Install new panels when meter jaw etc. Burn up
I don't bother hunting for parts.I don't want liability headache.

Speshulk

Why would you have to upgrade the whole service? If replacing the guts would be sufficient, then wouldn't changing the meter pan suffice also? Why not just have the utility company turn you off and change the pan?

mkgrady

I stopped changing out panel gutts, once I got
educated on UL listing and liability.I now
Install new panels when meter jaw etc. Burn up
I don't bother hunting for parts.I don't want liability headache.

If you had the exact same meter socket you would not take the guts out of a new one and put them in to the existing? If that is what you mean why would that be a liability problem? In this case the meter socket enclosure replacemment will trigger a requirement to replace the whole service. See next reply for more on that.

mkgrady

Why would you have to upgrade the whole service? If replacing the guts would be sufficient, then wouldn't changing the meter pan suffice also? Why not just have the utility company turn you off and change the pan?

Around here the utility does not turn it off. The electrician disconnects at the weather head, does the service change or repair and then remakes the connection.

The inspector indicated that if I change the meter socket I must upgrade the main panel because it is fuses. I'm not sure that requirement is enforceable but I don't disagree with it. If I am goint to change the socket and panel and add two ground rods I might as well change the SE cable also.

Speshulk

Around here the utility does not turn it off. The electrician disconnects at the weather head, does the service change or repair and then remakes the connection.

The inspector indicated that if I change the meter socket I must upgrade the main panel because it is fuses. I'm not sure that requirement is enforceable but I don't disagree with it. If I am goint to change the socket and panel and add two ground rods I might as well change the SE cable also.

Sounds like an inspector with his head up his ass. If I'm reading this right, changing the parts of the system that actually have an electrical function (the lugs) is ok, but changing the enclosure that the lugs are housed in causes you to upgrade the entire service? That makes absolutely NO sense.

And if the utility is letting you do all your own connections anyway, why not just change out the pan and not tell the inspector?

Just curious: Over the course of this conversation that we've all had the opportunity to leisurely participate in, has the customer been in the dark?

mkgrady

Sounds like an inspector with his head up his ass. If I'm reading this right, changing the parts of the system that actually have an electrical function (the lugs) is ok, but changing the enclosure that the lugs are housed in causes you to upgrade the entire service? That makes absolutely NO sense.

And if the utility is letting you do all your own connections anyway, why not just change out the pan and not tell the inspector?

Just curious: Over the course of this conversation that we've all had the opportunity to leisurely participate in, has the customer been in the dark?

No I loaned him a flash light (he said while trying to be funny).

The work requires an inspection. The customers power is still on but the connections are less than 100%. I'll probably get the job to upgrade the service the next time the connection goes bad. If I could have found the meter socket guts the repair would have been done by now. In the mean time he is digesting my proposal (and probably some others) to replace the service.

220/221

I half expected some to say that that same socket is still available from Murray and here is the cat#. Now I guess that isn't going to happen.

In many cases, a meter socket is a meter socket. It's generally just two pieces, screwed to the can. The only difference I've encountered is the depth which can be adjusted in a pinch.

electrical279.jpg

electrical278.jpg

Attachments

• electrical279.jpg
    electrical279.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.