Nema 4 Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Palmateer

Want To Know If You Can Use A Nema 4 Enclosure For A Terminal Box That Will House Wires That Are Coming From Load Cells? This Box Is Just To Extend The Wires From A Sumation Box That Will Be Located Outside Classified Area Which Is Class I Div Ii. The Box Is Only For Terminal Points Of Wire.

Thanks

Mike Palmateer/ruder Electric

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Mike Palmateer said:
Want To Know If You Can Use A Nema 4 Enclosure For A Terminal Box That Will House Wires That Are Coming From Load Cells? This Box Is Just To Extend The Wires From A Sumation Box That Will Be Located Outside Classified Area Which Is Class I Div Ii. The Box Is Only For Terminal Points Of Wire.

Thanks

If it is not in the classified area, it should be fine.

Mike Palmateer said:

Thanks

Insufficient information.

1. Are the load cells intrinsically safe?
  2. Are the load cells in the Class I, Div, 1 location.
  3. What is the wiring method from the load cells to the "summation box".
  4. What is the classification of the summation box location.
  5. What is the intended wiring method from the "summation box" to the junction box in question.
  6. What is the classification of the junction box location.

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
While I would generally concur with the two previous posts, I'd like clarification on what you mean by "Div Ii." I don't usually get too excited about improper nomenclature, but this one throws me a bit.

In general, a NEMA 4X enclosure with terminals only would be acceptable in Class I, Division 2 locations. In Class I, Division 1, it would not be.

rbalex said:
While I would generally concur with the two previous posts, I'd like clarification on what you mean by "Div Ii." I don't usually get too excited about improper nomenclature, but this one throws me a bit.

In general, a NEMA 4X enclosure with terminals only would be acceptable in Class I, Division 2 locations. In Class I, Division 1, it would not be.

Unless it is intrinsically safe that could be what he tried to express by the Ii:D IEC uses 'i' to reference the protection type in some of their nomenclature.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The original post said the enclosure would not be in the classified area.

I took the Div Ii to be Div II with the second I unintentionally not capitalized.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Well now you see why I was buffaloed :confused: I think both of your assumptions are quite reasonable, but I still have no idea what the OP meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.