neutral calc question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Re: neutral calc question

Originally posted by eonebrandon:
the neutral was concidered a "current carring conductor
Only sometimes. 310.15(B)(4) covers this issue. Neutrals of 3-wire, single phase and 4-wire, 3 phase systems are not considered current carrying conductors. 3-wire circuits from a 4-wire, 3 phase circuit would be. Watch for non-linear loads. :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by roger: How can a "Neutral" see the same current as any ungrounded conductor. . . ?
If every load on the left side of a panel board was turned on, and every load on the right side was off, then the feeder to that panel would show the same current on the left-hand ungrounded phase and the neutral.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Charlie b
If every load on the left side of a panel board was turned on, and every load on the right side was off, then the feeder to that panel would show the same current on the left-hand ungrounded phase and the neutral.
Well, let me first say that in most panels this would have no bearing on the load distrubution on one leg due to the fact most are set up A - B A - B A - B on both sides.

But, I do know what you're pointing out and in this case the grounded conductor would not and could not be considered a "neutral".

So I will stay with my question and point. ;)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.