Neutral for delta service

Agrow32

New User
Occupation
Engineer
I have an electrician installing a straight 480V delta service for a water pump. The inspector for the local inspection authority is requiring a neutral wire for this service. Is there any specifying that a neutral is required for this service when it should be a 3 wire service?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A neutral would require a center tap on the supply transformer so a neutral may not even be available. For a 3-wire Delta system the two basic types that you could use an ungrounded or a corner grounded system. I'm not seeing where your installation meets any of the following.
250.20(B) Alternating-Current Systems of 50 Volts to 1000 Volts.
Alternating-current systems of 50 volts to 1000 volts that supply premises wiring and premises wiring systems shall be grounded under any of the following conditions:
(1) Where the system can be grounded so that the maximum voltage to ground on the ungrounded conductors does not exceed 150 volts
(2) Where the system is 3-phase, 4-wire, wye connected in which the neutral conductor is used as a circuit conductor
(3) Where the system is 3-phase, 4-wire, delta connected in which the midpoint of one phase winding is used as a circuit conductor
Informational Note: According to Annex O of NFPA 70E-2018, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, high impedance grounding is an effective tool to reduce arc flash hazards.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Blitz7

New User
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What are the challenges if a wye grounded genset is connected to a 3-phase electrical system supplied by a corner ground delta transformer bank thru ATS?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What are the challenges if a wye grounded genset is connected to a 3-phase electrical system supplied by a corner ground delta transformer bank thru ATS?
There are tremendous challenges.
A neutral conductor is not electrically a phase conductor, even if both are grounded.

kwired

Electron manager
There are tremendous challenges.
A neutral conductor is not electrically a phase conductor, even if both are grounded.
Yet everything beyond the service equipment should have grounded conductor separated from equipment grounding conductor and still run three conductors plus EGC for feeders and branch circuits. If you make certain to have no bonding beyond the transfer switch you should be able to use a wye generator as a backup source. You would need to pass the grounded phase through the transfer switch and make up all grounding/bonding of the delta system ahead of the switch.

Ungrounded delta - seems you would have that for the orderly shut down advantages it will allow if there is a ground fault. If you don't have an application where that is desired you probably do not utilize an ungrounded system. That also would mean if you want that orderly shut down you would also want it when running on stand by and would also have an ungrounded delta for standby. Of course you wouldn't get the orderly shut down when utility power was lost so you would likely have a more complex back up system if this was a big necessity.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm not sure you can properly wire such a system when one conductor is grounded for one source and a different one is grounded for the other source. How do you mark conductors? Among other things...

kwired

Electron manager
I'm not sure you can properly wire such a system when one conductor is grounded for one source and a different one is grounded for the other source. How do you mark conductors? Among other things...
Why not? If done properly there is no grounded conductor bonding beyond the service or first disconnect of a SDS.

You can not supply loads that require a neutral conductor but straight line to line loads could be supplied as long as all three phases are ran through breakers, contactors, etc. It kind of brings up code issues with identifying grounded vs ungrounded conductors depending on which supply is being utilized but otherwise will work. You run an EGC with the branch circuits/feeders either way.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I see all kinds of problems on the load side. Not just conductor identification but also whether you switch the conductor that is grounded in one configuration but not the other. You can't use utilization equipment that expects a particular conductor to be grounded. Perhaps it's theoretically possible, maybe for one piece of utilization equipment conductor identification is the only real code issue. But in general it strikes me as an all around terrible idea.

kwired

Electron manager
I see all kinds of problems on the load side. Not just conductor identification but also whether you switch the conductor that is grounded in one configuration but not the other. You can't use utilization equipment that expects a particular conductor to be grounded. Perhaps it's theoretically possible, maybe for one piece of utilization equipment conductor identification is the only real code issue. But in general it strikes me as an all around terrible idea.
Remember the post that got this thread a little off OP and on this discussion was wanting to back up a delta system with a wye connected generator. Which IMO is usually more do-able than the other way around often would be.

Like I said you would need to have breakers, contactors, disconnects (but none that are fused) that have the grounded phase run through them, and can not (even though it shouldn't anyway) have bonds to the grounded conductor beyond the service equipment. You would have no neutral loads so no need for neutral other than to bond it at the source or first disconnecting means and it becomes an EGC beyond that. You won't have equipment that is not compatible with corner ground or high leg if it was already installed on such system and you are only adding a wye system as the standby source. Ungrounded delta and fault monitoring would be more of a challenge or even impossible to connect to any standby source that is grounded though.