Neutral for switch for Half-Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
sorry I was thinking one half -switched receptacle
No, you got it correct. George's "half hot" is in fact a "half switched duplex". The quote of George's in your last post that gave you pause was in response to your idea of feeding the "hot half" of the duplex receptacle separate from the "switched leg" from the three-way switching.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No, you got it correct. George's "half hot" is in fact a "half switched duplex". The quote of George's in your last post that gave you pause was in response to your idea of feeding the "hot half" of the duplex receptacle separate from the "switched leg" from the three-way switching.
I thought he only had one half switched outlet not all the outlets in the room

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I thought he only had one half switched outlet not all the outlets in the room
I don't think he actually specified how many in the area were switched. If it really is all of a room's duplex receptacles, then the room literally is "half hot"!

al hildenbrand

Occupation
The use of "hots" and the singular "a", to me still leaves the "half hot" as a singular "half switched duplex", and thus the answer to Dick's question.

dicklaxt

The use of "hots" and the singular "a", to me still leaves the "half hot" as a singular "half switched duplex", and thus the answer to Dick's question.

Thanks based on that ,I'll now go back and see what this post is about,,,,,,is "half hot" common jargon between the residential trades?

dick

al hildenbrand

Occupation
. . .is "half hot" common jargon between the residential trades?
Actually, in all my years, this was new to me. But that's not saying much.

I suspect it's a mountain thing. . . and thinking of the source, here, it might even be a "George" thing.:D

bullheimer

i see no use in 4 wire and just did a house with two outlets on a three way in two different areas. dont see the point, when 3 wire works fine. Did as Dennis described, which is the only way i ever run a 3 way, if i can help it. All switches now installed in WA have to have a neutral unless one can be added easily later (run in conduit or fished in). which sounds kinda weird, but whadda i know? But it makes it soooo much easier for me to go into a house to trim out when there are NO dead end three wires in a box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.