Neutral Load Calculations Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tav1980

Occupation
Electrical
I am studying for my Master Electrician License, and I am using Mike Holt's Electrical Exam Prep book for the 2017 NEC.

When applying the neutral reduction allowed in article 220.83 (B) (1) and (2), the examples in the book do not add the water heater load. I understand you wont add a load that is 2 wire 240v, but when doing the unit review questions in the book, it doesn't specify if the water heater is 120v or 240v.

I understand that water heaters will more than likely be 240v (especially higher capacity), but that is not always the case. My question is if the test question doesn't specify the water heater voltage, should I assume it is 240 volts for neutral reduction purposes?

Thanks for your help!

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
I'm going to say don't over-think the test questions and just assume it is 240V.....but I've never taken the test nor passed it so someone with more experience will most likely chime in her soon.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
I am studying for my Master Electrician License, and I am using Mike Holt's Electrical Exam Prep book for the 2017 NEC.

When applying the neutral reduction allowed in article 220.83 (B) (1) and (2), the examples in the book do not add the water heater load. I understand you wont add a load that is 2 wire 240v, but when doing the unit review questions in the book, it doesn't specify if the water heater is 120v or 240v.

I understand that water heaters will more than likely be 240v (especially higher capacity), but that is not always the case. My question is if the test question doesn't specify the water heater voltage, should I assume it is 240 volts for neutral reduction purposes?

Thanks for your help!
I took the Master and Inspector for 2014 cycle and I ran into some of these situations in practice tests and I also would assume 240v. Your looking at existing house calcs and on my Actual Pearsonvue tests I think they referred to the units in VA or KW. You can submit this to Mikeholt and they are pretty good at answering purpose of question and in fact on line they do have some practice test book corrections and this may be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.