Neutral required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockin

I am feeding a 480v / 3phase / 1000amp sub panel. The panel at this time will only be feeding 3ph / 3w loads. Am I required to pull a neutral cable to this panel? I know I can reduced the neutral down to 12.5%, but can I eliminate it all together?

Thanks for the help.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The only time a neutral is required is if it is the service to a building otherwise no neutral is required. Thus you do not need a neutral.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is the panel being installed as a service panel or is it supplied by a feeder ?

(sorry Dennis, stepped on your post)

wawireguy

If it's T&M I'd pull it. If it's a bid and not in the bid I'd not pull it. Would be nice someday I'm sure but if the customer isn't paying for it..

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If it's T&M I'd pull it. If it's a bid and not in the bid I'd not pull it. Would be nice someday I'm sure but if the customer isn't paying for it..
Whether it's pulled now or added later if the need arises, the customer wll, or certainly should, foot the bill, so the risk of omitting now should be their's to choose.

Why not price it both ways, explaining the difference between pulling it now as opposed to adding it later, explain what would require it being there, and allow the customer to decide?

shockin

It's "Design / Bid" (my favorite... ...NOT) So any thing I can design out I will.

Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.