Neutral Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It was for odd order harmonics during the paranoria years and it has gotten permanately stuck in some designers minds.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Commonly known as a 200% neutral. Technically the ungrounded conductors have been upsized so the EGC may be too small.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Commonly known as a 200% neutral. Technically the ungrounded conductors have been upsized so the EGC may be too small.

I thought in most cases the neutral was the grounded conductor.

You bring up a point though, do I have to increase the size of the EG when the neutral is oversized but not the Phase conductors? I wouldn’t, but I’ve been wrong at least once....in the last 10 minutes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

You bring up a point though, do I have to increase the size of the EG when the neutral is oversized but not the Phase conductors? I wouldn’t, but I’ve been wrong at least once....in the last 10 minutes.

250.122(B) references increasing the EGC only when the ungrounded conductors are increased in size.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We don't know that. The OCPD could be a 100 amp breaker. That properly corresponds with a #2 ungrounded conductor and a #8 EGC.

Could be or maybe not. #3 THHN is a 100 amp conductor so #2 would be an increase in size from #3.

kwired

Electron manager
Could be or maybe not. #3 THHN is a 100 amp conductor so #2 would be an increase in size from #3.
I agree, EGC likely needs proportional increase in size in this case unless we can come up with a detail that says #3 isn't a 100 amp conductor for this application.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Scratch this....now I see where you came up with oversized phase conductors.:dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.