Neutral sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmfly

Occupation
Electrician
hey all, I was looking at some prints that’s calling for a new service. It is a 600 amp three phase 208. it is calling for 2 to 500 MCM per phase with a 1/0 AWG neutral. Am I wrong to think that you’re supposed to match the neutral size to the ungrounded conductor?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
hey all, I was looking at some prints that’s calling for a new service. It is a 600 amp three phase 208. it is calling for 2 to 500 MCM per phase with a 1/0 AWG neutral. Am I wrong to think that you’re supposed to match the neutral size to the ungrounded conductor?
The neutral does not have to be the same size as the ungrounded conductors. It needs to be large enough for the calculated load or per 250.24(C), whichever is larger. This is to ensure that there is a large enough fault return path.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The servive neutral must be:
(a) sized to carry the load (220.61)
(b) meet the requirements of 250.24(C)

In your case the 1/0 would meet (b) IF the 500s are in separate conduits and there is a 1/0 in each conduit.
Beyond that, a load caluclation would need to be performed to see if the 1/0 is adequate for the load.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
If he 500s are parallel in the same conduit and you pulled (1) neutral, then Art 250 would required you look at the combined area and your minimum neutral would be a 2/0 (excluding load requirements)

(5" rigid ?..OUCH, my back)

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Lots of possibilities... suggest you go back to whomever drew the prints,

Status
Not open for further replies.