Neutral to Ground reading 120V

Drod04Mustang

Occupation
Industrial Electrician-Residential Electrician
This is on a RV Trailer that i was working on this weekend for an old lady. I checked with a regular plug in tester and says Hot ground reversed. So RV guy came out and change out a RV plug that had shorted out. I checked out his work and 120 to neutral for both legs, 246 hot to hot and 0 neutral to ground to the RV plug. I changed out the RV cable cause i thought maybe it had melted something in the wire. Now i got the same inside of RV to the wire. But once I connect to the panel the Nuetral to ground bar gives me 120. I tried to narrow it to a certain circuit by taking out neutral one at a time and still no luck. Mind you it was 12v before and they converted it to residential. So couldnt' find it but I am probably gonna take panel out and try small 8 space. and hopefully that will work or for testing pursposes just connect nuetrals and hots to hot legs at the end of the RV plug cable.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
My first suggestion is to stop relying on plug-in testers for actual trouble shooting, they rarely give a false positive but the also rarely give a true false. In my experience if they say 'okay' the receptacle is likely wired correctly. If they show 'error' you need to do additional measurements.

Your Line to Neutral and Line- Ground voltages should be close to 1/2 of your L to L voltage.
Always measure L-L, both L-N, and both L-G.

Drod04Mustang

Occupation
Industrial Electrician-Residential Electrician
My first suggestion is to stop relying on plug-in testers for actual trouble shooting, they rarely give a false positive but the also rarely give a true false. In my experience if they say 'okay' the receptacle is likely wired correctly. If they show 'error' you need to do additional measurements.

Your Line to Neutral and Line- Ground voltages should be close to 1/2 of your L to L voltage.
Always measure L-L, both L-N, and both L-G.
Yes I agree on the plug testers. They are an indication of something wrong but not perfect. I have 10 of them because i do a lot of trims and sometimes with the sweating they absorb and give wrong readings.