New at Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Spouse & I discussed this. Our thoughts inclined to call in orders only. No one in the stores but employees. Payment before anything leaves the store. My daughter says it saves her a bundle by not going into Wally World.

Problem being that would cut down on my social life. About the only time I see anyone.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So how does that stop anyone from walking out the door with the reel of NM cable, just makes it so they need to ask a clerk to unlock it so they can pull one to put in their cart.
The store employees are required to take the wire to the cashier. You are not allowed to take it until paid for.

What they should do is have a pull tag that you take to the cashier then once you pay for the items you take the receipt to a pickup area.

Eventually all stores are going to need to lock up everything. I see reports everyday of people walking into all typs of stores, filling carts up with merchandise then just walking out.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We need to go back to the practices from 75 years ago when if you got caught shoplifting you paid for it out back of the store. No trials, no charges, just the two or three biggest guys that worked there worked over the shoplifter until he decided shoplifting was not a good thing to be engaged in, at least at that store.

kwired

Electron manager
Spouse & I discussed this. Our thoughts inclined to call in orders only. No one in the stores but employees. Payment before anything leaves the store. My daughter says it saves her a bundle by not going into Wally World.

Problem being that would cut down on my social life. About the only time I see anyone.
Funny thing is if wife and I go to GI, or Sioux City, both approximately 100 mile drive for us, we will usually see someone from back home while there. One time even ran into the neighbor that lives 1 mile across the section from us and had to ask if we both needed to drive that far just to see each other.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
The thief in Lowe's went right past me with his shiny new table saw and then right out the door. The cashier came out from behind the register when she saw him and stopped at the the door, she then proceeded to reset the anti-theft alarm that was going off. When I got out to the parking lot the guy was still trying to load the heavy saw into his truck. There is no reason why someone couldn't have walked out there and at least jotted down his license plate.
Did you take down the number and turn it in?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
We need to go back to the practices from 75 years ago when if you got caught shoplifting you paid for it out back of the store. No trials, no charges, just the two or three biggest guys that worked there worked over the shoplifter until he decided shoplifting was not a good thing to be engaged in, at least at that store.
I'm afraid you might be serious. That's a terrible reprehensible idea. Physical violence is way worse than property crimes, and would be incommensurate.

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
The store employees are required to take the wire to the cashier. You are not allowed to take it until paid for.

What they should do is have a pull tag that you take to the cashier then once you pay for the items you take the receipt to a pickup area.

Eventually all stores are going to need to lock up everything. I see reports everyday of people walking into all typs of stores, filling carts up with merchandise then just walking out.
That is kind of what supply houses for tradesmen are and have always been. But isn't exactly self service, you tell them what you want and they go pull it for you. That makes the "pick up services" many large retailers have gone to in recent years not really anything new either. And those order pickers are a place where the cashiers that have been replaced with self checkouts have been moved to so the self checkout didn't exactly eliminate the jobs some claim it did, it just moved people to different tasks.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That is kind of what supply houses for tradesmen are and have always been. But isn't exactly self service, you tell them what you want and they go pull it for you. That makes the "pick up services" many large retailers have gone to in recent years not really anything new either. And those order pickers are a place where the cashiers that have been replaced with self checkouts have been moved to so the self checkout didn't exactly eliminate the jobs some claim it did, it just moved people to different tasks.
Correct but in the case of retail stores they need some type of display so customers can see the items.

I was recently talking to one of the electrical clerks at my Local HD. She said they are only allowed to display a few of certain items such as AFCI/DF breakers. The rest of the inventory goes at the very top of the racks. Even with that she said they watch customers climb to the top of the racks, grab the items and walk out the store.

On of my guys was at HD a few months ago and the electrical clerk was helping him with something. They looked over and there was a guy with 2 kids (10ish +/- old) loading up a cart full with Romex. The clerk commented that apparently the other clerk forgot to lock it after the last customer. He said he was not too worried seeing the guys with his kids and would lock in when they finish. They then watched the guy and kids walk straight out the store without paying.

I see posts on Nextdoor in my area with videos of kids running up to porches stealing packages then bring them to their parents waiting in the cars.
Our next generation is being taught that stealing is ok. Our counties attitude that we should feel sorry for all criminals and there should be no punishments for there crimes is not the way to go.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'm afraid you might be serious. That's a terrible reprehensible idea. Physical violence is way worse than property crimes, and would be incommensurate.

Cheers, Wayne
Criminals deserve to be punished and there needs to be some level of deterrence to discourage the other criminals. Physical violence is an entirely appropriate way of dealing with criminals.

kwired

Electron manager
Correct but in the case of retail stores they need some type of display so customers can see the items.

I was recently talking to one of the electrical clerks at my Local HD. She said they are only allowed to display a few of certain items such as AFCI/DF breakers. The rest of the inventory goes at the very top of the racks. Even with that she said they watch customers climb to the top of the racks, grab the items and walk out the store.

On of my guys was at HD a few months ago and the electrical clerk was helping him with something. They looked over and there was a guy with 2 kids (10ish +/- old) loading up a cart full with Romex. The clerk commented that apparently the other clerk forgot to lock it after the last customer. He said he was not too worried seeing the guys with his kids and would lock in when they finish. They then watched the guy and kids walk straight out the store without paying.

I see posts on Nextdoor in my area with videos of kids running up to porches stealing packages then bring them to their parents waiting in the cars.
Our next generation is being taught that stealing is ok. Our counties attitude that we should feel sorry for all criminals and there should be no punishments for there crimes is not the way to go.
The stuff on the upper shelves is just overstock. they pull it down and replenish the regular display spaces as needed. Sometimes they can get behind and regular display is empty even though they do have more. These warehouse style stores don't have overstock space in a back room like typical retail stores had years ago. They figure put it up high, they have the space there and customers can't reach it without grabbing a lift or portable stair which they try to keep from happening. Even the grocery aisles in places like Walmart is usually nothing but over stock for items displayed lower on the shelves.

I've seen lots of people that don't understand that and question why there is no price for items on top shelf- simple those are temporarily there and tomorrow or next week some other item may be there temporarily

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The stuff on the upper shelves is just overstock. they pull it down and replenish the regular display spaces as needed. Sometimes they can get behind and regular display is empty even though they do have more. These warehouse style stores don't have overstock space in a back room like typical retail stores had years ago. They figure put it up high, they have the space there and customers can't reach it without grabbing a lift or portable stair which they try to keep from happening. Even the grocery aisles in places like Walmart is usually nothing but over stock for items displayed lower on the shelves.

I've seen lots of people that don't understand that and question why there is no price for items on top shelf- simple those are temporarily there and tomorrow or next week some other item may be there temporarily
Its overstock but the store employees are told they are not allowed to bring down more than a few of each item even though there is space on the racks. That is why many displays look empty. They have the items but not allowed to display many. If the customer wants the item they are supposed to ask the store employees to get them.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Criminals deserve to be punished and there needs to be some level of deterrence to discourage the other criminals.
Yes.
Physical violence is an entirely appropriate way of dealing with criminals.
Vehemently disagree, we (society) are better than that. Using physical violence as the punishment demeans us. Your proposed punishment is worse than the crime.

Cheers, Wayne

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Yes.

Vehemently disagree, we (society) are better than that. Using physical violence as the punishment demeans us. Your proposed punishment is worse than the crime.

Cheers, Wayne
You are just dead wrong. Violence is the only solution to crime. The cowards that refuse to use violence in an appropriate way are the ones responsible for the huge increase in crime.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
You are just dead wrong. Violence is the only solution to crime.
So, so wrong. The society you envision would itself be criminal IMO. Not to mention that with "no trials, no charges" and the private dispensation of retributive violence, plenty of innocent people are going to be beaten up or killed, more so than are now.

Your proposal would be terrible for us, and the willingness to casually use violence is one of American's society's current problems.

Cheers, Wayne

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
If criminals were properly punished there would be no need for vigilante. The way are society is going there will be more violence from law abiding citizens towards criminals because of a lack of punishment for criminal.
Turning into Gotham city. We need BATMAN
Or the white knight to come back to his senses.

Status
Not open for further replies.