New computer pulling too much band width?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I built a new computer for one of my kids friends; who is at school and when he plays W.O.W., a game, and the kids are on vacation all is fine. When he plays when all the kids are back he is kicked off by the server, I think. He called the IT guy from the school who came and looked at his system(dorm room) and the guy said he never saw anything like it before and by the way where did you get that computer!
It is an intel I2500 with 10/100/1000 nic, I told my son to tell him to limit the nic to 10/100 if he could, the kid just smiled and told him the IT guy might call me for one too.
I never knew of any one being kicked off line like that, hardware wise I would think it could only draw what band width was there 10-1000, could the server have programing that would kick if too much draw? I could see that. IT guy didn't tell the kid anything, like stop pulling down the system with your draw servers are programed to boot you.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I never heard of any place kicking you off for using too much bandwidth, but I suppose it is possible. Most places the network will limit whatever bandwidth is available so one user cannot hog it.

I think it more likely that he has discovered some kind of bug in the combination of hardware and sofwtare he is using.

97catintenn

When all the kids are back and online, he would have a higher ping and that's a good reason to be kicked from a gaming server. If possible, he needs to login to the closest server to his location so that he keeps his ping to that server low.

Rover88

The servers can be programmed to throttle the usage of particular computers on the network if bandwidth limits are exceeded. They did this at PSU when my youngest son was there to limit music downloads.

kwired

Electron manager
I never heard of any place kicking you off for using too much bandwidth, but I suppose it is possible. Most places the network will limit whatever bandwidth is available so one user cannot hog it.

I think it more likely that he has discovered some kind of bug in the combination of hardware and sofwtare he is using.

I would call it a hole before a bug. If the server is programmed to boot him off then he needs to find a way to slow it down or live with being booted off.

Rick Christopherson

For the record, it is not the new computer or NIC card that is causing the bandwidth problem. It is the playing of Worlds of Warcraft that is taking large bandwidth. The fast NIC card is not new technology and it has been pretty commonplace for several years.

He is being kicked off the network because playing his game is causing other people to not have sufficient bandwidth for their activities. Most of the other students probably also have a 10/100/1000 NIC, but they are not playing WoW and are not taking large chunks of data through the network.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Thanks all; Rick as the kid tells it, it works great when no one is on... so I feel you are right and the school is limiting him. IT guy could have told him this.

Status
Not open for further replies.