New Construction Low Voltage Prewiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across a builder and county, unincorporated DuPage county in Illinois today, that states they need all RG6, cat5, cat6, and speaker wire ran through a raceway or pipe in the home. This makes no sense to me as I have been prewiring homes for over 15 years and never heard such a thing. As far as I know, CL2 and CL3 rated cables are fine to be exposed. Obviously stapled to studs, run 90s, stay away from conduit, etc. Any help or factual information would be appreciated.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have tripped over and stepped on my share of LV wiring in attics (usually strung taught right across the most convenient walkway). Maybe this builder is getting smart and protecting the wire (and the people who have to traverse attics).

Not Builder

Not Builder

It is not so much the builder but the county. They state it is in NEC 2014 or 2017? Trying to find out if that is fact or fiction. I personally think they are misinterpreting or getting the wiring I am installing mixed up with other wiring.

Action Dave......

Action Dave......

Action Dave, So 100% that is not a requirement by NEC in any county? I will be running cat6, cat5, rg6, and 16/4 speaker wire. Thanks for your help.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would double check that with the AHJ if I were you. It's not an NEC requirement but that's not what matters. Chicago and surrounding areas no doubt require it same as they require residential electrical wiring to be in EMT. This is because of the union and Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.