New Electrical Contractor (Maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWire68

[FONT=&quot]Trying to gather information about becoming an Electrical Contractor in the state of Kentucky. To qualify for the EC license I need the following:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Two years verifiable experience as an electrical contractor in Kentucky. [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Proof of $500,000 General liability insurance[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Proof of Worker's Compensation insurance[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Completed application form[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]$200 application fee[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Passport sized photo[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Pass the required International Code Council exam[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Some of the confusing parts are. How can I get two years of verifiable electrical contractor experience, if i am just starting out?? I have my masters license but I have never been an electrical contractor. I have tried to get insurance quotes for the $500,000 general liability but all the on-line websites for free quotes keep asking for a business name and federal ID number. I do not have a business name or federal ID number. I am just trying to gather information at this stage. Maybe it is just the fear of the unknown on my part but Kentucky seems to be making this harder then it needs to be. Can someone offer me some greatly need guidance? Please..

Thank you,

Kevin
[/FONT]

JeffBabineaux

For information about starting a new business, there's a great state resource called the small business development center. They can help you with any state requirements to do business in the jurisdiction you want to operate. When you go, though, they'll want to see a business plan, or help you come up with one.

Unless things have change in the last couple of years the requirement for 2 years of verifiable experience as a contractor is only if you apply for reciprocity license.
General Liability Insurance is cheap, should run no more than $300 to $350 a year.
Worker's Comp can be waived if you have no employees other than yourself when first starting out.
The exam is a no-brainer open book exam covering different types of insurance required for businesses, state business tax, types of businesses (Corp, LLC, LLP etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.