New Estimator

B&W Estimator

Occupation
estimator/ project manager
Hello. I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I am new to electrical estimating and I am having to put in some assemblies for my Take Offs in the estimating software and I am ignorant when it comes to materials and assemblies. But I am eager to learn!

Occupation
Electrical Estimator/Project Manager
I've been an estimator for the last 27 years and out of all the software out there with pre-assembly I highly recommend Conest 1st choice and then AccuBID. also exposing yourself to the job site and getting familiar with the daily commodities is extremely essential.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Hello. I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I am new to electrical estimating and I am having to put in some assemblies for my Take Offs in the estimating software and I am ignorant when it comes to materials and assemblies. But I am eager to learn!
I'm curious. Are you the only estimator in your company? Are you using McCormick because the company requires it. Are you building your own assemblies because they don't already have assemblies built in the estimating program? What is your electrical installation experience?

B&W Estimator

Occupation
I am the only estimator, yes. I am using McCormicks because my boss wanted me to use it, it is the only software that I have ever used. The assemblies were missing some materials or the materials it does have, were the wrong ones.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I am the only estimator, yes. I am using McCormicks because my boss wanted me to use it, it is the only software that I have ever used. The assemblies were missing some materials or the materials it does have, were the wrong ones.

The pre-built assemblies in most software won’t always be exactly how you would build it, but can usually get you close enough. If you want it to be accurate enough to create a purchase order from, you’ll have to make your own tailored to how you build it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strathead

Occupation
I don't like McCormick, but it is the #1 selling estimating program. I think it is because it is economical and they have capable salesmen. That said, if you are stuck with it, as someone else suggested, do some on line tutorials, or call their tech support. As far as what to put in an assembly, that is personal. I agree with brantmacga. A lot has to do with making sure the assembly as a whole reflects an accurate # of hours. Does it really take3- 4 hours to run 100 feet of 1/2" EMT? No, the actual putting it in the air takes very little time, but you have to order it, unload and store it. Move it to the work area, move it to the work location, plan the run, climb the ladder to install it, etc. You could put time in for each step or you can figure the 3 hours is average and then add when the conduit is over 10 feet in the air or up three stories or more in a building.

B&W Estimator

Occupation
McComicks has its downfalls, but it is the only program I have used so I am getting pretty familiar with it. I have been building the assemblies to how we would build the assemblies and order the materials. It has definitely been a great learning tool.

Strathead

Occupation
McComicks has its downfalls, but it is the only program I have used so I am getting pretty familiar with it. I have been building the assemblies to how we would build the assemblies and order the materials. It has definitely been a great learning tool.
Don't get too hung up on making sure your estimate has accurate information, close is close enough, unless your owner wants to spend a huge budget on estimating. For example, a single conduit above the ceiling may have 150ft on strut, 30 feet on 1/4 rod and mini (could be concrete deck or need a span of trusses with strut) and then 10 feet in wall with slider brackets and 1 hole straps. You aren't realistically going to take each conduit off in three different ways. You can, but your estimate could take forever and honestly, if you look at it too closely you are more likely to lose the bid. My mentor once told me the one who wins the bid is the one who forgot the most.

B&W Estimator

Occupation
I have a question. It's about feeders. I am confused about how to know when I need to include on my pricing. If there is a one line diagram with the feeder schedule, or a feeder schedule, do I include them? If they are existing, do I include it, or is it just on the plans for another reason? Please advise.

Strathead

Occupation
I have a question. It's about feeders. I am confused about how to know when I need to include on my pricing. If there is a one line diagram with the feeder schedule, or a feeder schedule, do I include them? If they are existing, do I include it, or is it just on the plans for another reason? Please advise.
Not trying to be mean, but reread your questions to make sure they are comprehensive. That said, if you are asking what I think you are asking, You should include all work that needs to be done, and no work that doesn't need to be done.