New hazardous location

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafca

I,m new which this. This is an existing warehouse, they put a paint booth inside . We need to rewire all the warehouse for class I location. Need help to how we doing this . Any information is appreciated .

iwire

Staff member
I,m new which this. This is an existing warehouse, they put a paint booth inside . We need to rewire all the warehouse for class I location. Need help to how we doing this . Any information is appreciated .

Is the paint booth self contained with door interlocks, ventilation and such?

If so you likely don't have to rewire the building it is in.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
While I agree with all previous comments. I believe Don's is the most immediately relevant. The relevance of the others will then become obvious.

First, it's a requirement [Section 500.4(A)]. Second, if "proper documentation" has already been created, it is not uncommon for the "untrained" [Section 90.1(C)] to over-classify a location "just to be safe." This results in an installation much more costly than necessary.

rafca

The paint booth if no self contained. The inspector coming an classified the place. Going to start we the bldg. an next the paint shop. That what we need help

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Then the inspector appears to be an untrained person; unfortunately, this is common. But, if he intends to classify locations, he should also be prepared to create proper documentation as required by Section 500.4(A) . If you won't fight it then you best study Articles 500, 501 and 516 carefully.

Last edited:

sgunsel

I'm not sure what is meant by "spray booth" based on the given description. If it is a legitimate spray booth, the Division 1 classified area is confined to the spray area (see definitions in article 516). The Division 2 area extends moderately outside any openings, the distance depends on the booth details as well as which NEC version is in effect. Hopefully the 2014 NEC will reflect the current requirements in NFPA 33, which are a bit more lenient for the Division 2 areas. An engineer experienced in spraying applications is definitely desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.