New home service

Alelectric04

Occupation
Electrician
Ok guys. New home, meter is going to be located about 75ft from the home on the side of another building which is right beside the transformer. It will feed a 200amp panel with pass through lugs which then goes to the home. Inside the panel will be another breaker to feed the building. The 200a main in the panel will act as the emergency disconnect for the home and the building. The ahj has already approved this. I am trying to figure out what cable to run from the panel to the panel inside the home. The panel will be in an interior room under the stairs. Not sure how to actually go about running the cable through the house to the panel since it’s not just on an exterior wall. Since the conductors will technically be fused can I just run them through the attic or drill the studs? Initial plan was to lb into the side of the house but worried about the bend radius of the cable. The house is on a crawl space.

Alelectric04

Occupation
Electrician
Is your AHJ allowing you to ignore 225.31 & .32 ??
Ahj says since the the panel that will act as the disconnecting means is in plain sight and will be labeled as the emergency disconnect it is fine. I mean I can mount another disconnect on the house I just didn’t want to for cosmetics.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In that case,,, an underground conduit stubbed up at both panels... 1 pull, no LBs, no splices, etc,

Alelectric04

Occupation
Electrician
In that case,,, an underground conduit stubbed up at both panels... 1 pull, no LBs, no splices, etc,
I may not be able to stub a conduit into an interior wall depending on floor joist. That’s why I was wondering about what cable to use in case it needs to be ram through a stud or two.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Table 310.12 - Dwelling Services and Feeders
200 Amp - 2/0 Copper or 4/0 Aluminum
Once out of the ground, if you need to run through floor joists, you could use a copper or aluminum SER cable.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You are going to need to either run the raceway all the way between the panels or make a transition between the underground conductors and interior cable.

If it were me I would install a disconnect on the house then run a cable method from it to the interior panel. I know you said the inspector is not requiring the disconnect but that doesn't mean you should ignore the NEC requirement. Unless the AHJ has adopted an amendment allowing you to not have the disconnect the inspector should not be suggesting you violate the requirement. Remember if something happens in the future the inspector has zero liability, its all on you.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is your AHJ allowing you to ignore 225.31 & .32 ??
Trying to see how this violates 225.31?
225.31 is disconnecting means and the 200A MB panel will meet that.

If the panel in the house is a MB, and is located where you could enter it directly from outside, you wouldn't need an outside disconnect at the house would you?

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor

If the panel in the house is a MB, and is located where you could enter it directly from outside, you wouldn't need an outside disconnect at the house would you?
Wouldn't NEC Art. 230.85 require one?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation

225.31 might be a grey area except the wording of 225.32 seemingly addresses that disconnecting means...

225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed either inside or outside of the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. For the purposes of this section, the requirements in 230.6 shall be utilized.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
225.31 might be a grey area except the wording of 225.32 seemingly addresses that disconnecting means...

225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed either inside or outside of the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. For the purposes of this section, the requirements in 230.6 shall be utilized.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I agree... My initial post was in relation to his running conductors (cable) thru the house. I am of the opinion that you would need an outside disconenct unless you met the same requirements as 230,.6 (referenced in 225.32) but apparently his AHJ does not think that's a requirement.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
If it were me I would install a disconnect on the house then run a cable method from it to the interior panel. I know you said the inspector is not requiring the disconnect but that doesn't mean you should ignore the NEC requirement. Unless the AHJ has adopted an amendment allowing you to not have the disconnect the inspector should not be suggesting you violate the requirement. Remember if something happens in the future the inspector has zero liability, its all on you.
My AHJ has approved similar designs that I've done. As long as it's within reasonable distance and in site of the structure.