New house off the grid questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojans4

New house off the grid. Solar panels with battery backup. Someone else is taking care of that including the inverter. There will be 12V and 19V DC and 120V AC circuits. The 12V and 19V DC circuits are for computer/data equipment and maybe some lights. All wiring is being done in MC cable to reduce the EMF effect. (even the low voltage DC wiring)

1) I assume to meet NEC code I ignore the low voltage circuits and have 120V circuits that meet the 210.52 requirements of number, spacing, overcurrent and AFCI/GFCI protection? I understand there are requirements on separating low voltage wiring from 120/240V wiring.

2) Can you run MC cable to a light on an open porch if the MC is covered? (it is between the roof and ceiling of the porch)

3) Does a wall receptacle that is 30" above the floor meet the requirements of 210.52A?

4) Do the 12V and 19V circuits need overcurrent protection?

PS - would this off the grid house be required to be inspected in your state or locale?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
1) I assume to meet NEC code I ignore the low voltage circuits and have 120V circuits that meet the 210.52 requirements of number, spacing, overcurrent and AFCI/GFCI protection? I understand there are requirements on separating low voltage wiring from 120/240V wiring.
Article 210 does distinguish the nominal voltage of some circuits. A section will not apply if it specifically states 125 volt circuits. Review Article 725, Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 Remote-Control, Signaling, and Power-Limited Circuits to determine if separation is required or other sections of 210 apply.

2) Can you run MC cable to a light on an open porch if the MC is covered? (it is between the roof and ceiling of the porch)
Should be considered a dry location and permitted, but some may debate the issue.

3) Does a wall receptacle that is 30" above the floor meet the requirements of 210.52A?
Yes... up to 66". See item (4) under 210.52 general statement.

4) Do the 12V and 19V circuits need overcurrent protection?
Yes.

PS - would this off the grid house be required to be inspected in your state or locale?
Yes.

trojans4

Thanks for the 210.52 item 4 reference. This similar question has come up before and I could never find it in the code even though I use article 210 quite often. I guess I just overlooked that item.

Status
Not open for further replies.