new jersey license

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

Can someone tell me if there is a master electrician license in n.j. ?
I checked on the link I came across on another post about a similar question and in new jersey the only think I seen was for a electrical contractors license and a journeymens license. What is the difference and what would be valued more by a hiring industrial plant looking for a electrician to add to their work force?

Is there such a thing n.j. as a master electrician ?
Thank you for any help.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no such thing as a NJ Master Electricians License. The Electrical Contractors License is the one that you'll need to sign for permits. I don't know anyone who has a Journeyman's License.

emahler

the state has screwed the pooch on the journeymans license...i know a guy who applied, this guy is more qualified than most licensed electrical contractors, the state has made him jump through hoop after hoop...

they cashed his check in Nov 2009....they still have not issue him his journeymans license...

satcom

the state has screwed the pooch on the journeymans license...i know a guy who applied, this guy is more qualified than most licensed electrical contractors, the state has made him jump through hoop after hoop...

they cashed his check in Nov 2009....they still have not issue him his journeymans license...

Our guys all have a j man Id Card and they have to pay a fee to renew, just give me a land line if you need more info

mark32

Satcom, you seem to be knowledgable on the topic. I have an out of state license (FL) will that help me bypass any requirements if I ever wanted get my NJ license?

krisinjersey

NJ Licensing-Welcome to the circus!

NJ Licensing-Welcome to the circus!

Journeyman's certificate is issued at the completion of an approved apprenticeship or the completion of 5 years of field time. It renews triannually and each Journeyman has to attend a registered 10 hour code update.
Contractors license is issued after passage of the Prometric exam, which you need to complete the state application for including the essay on work experience and the work certification signed off on by employers for the previous 5 year period.
I got my J-mans after my apprenticeship was completed in about 6 months in June 06.
I submitted my license application to the state in November 2009 and they responded with a test date of March 2010. I sat the test and passed (thanks Mike) and started climbing the beanstalk. I got my congratulations letter in May 2010. The application for the license and business permit was returned 3 times due to the company name reading differently on different forms (ie.Corp. vs. corproation or Inc.) I got the business permit and license in October 2010. Once you get rejected for the monthly meeting you have to wait until the following month. It's fun. You'll get to know Judy well. I got a letter to suffice in the absence of my seal while the seal was created. The letter is good until April 2011 or until Moses comes back down the mountain with them.
If you don't stay on top of the office and visit in person to Newark, you won't keep the ball rolling. I hand delivered the application packet to the board and visited each time there was an issue.
I expected some amazing office for the almighty board of electical contractors.I found 4 cubiles with a file folder sign hanging on a paperclip chain from the drop ceiling. There are 3 girls who run the applications for everything from jman to business permit. The fourth cubicle is literally filled with applications that have issues. The island of misfit applications.
I sat the test with 300 other guys, on the second day the test was being administered for the quarter. That means around 2500 guys taking the test every year. My best friend passed a year before me and our license numbers are only 519apart. The failure rate is high.
I don't know of any provision that provides for the honoring of your license here. I have had contractors from out of state ask to "rent" my license so they can work here. Guys that install the interiors for large warehouse stores. It's easier and cheaper than jumping through the flaming hoops up here.
That all said we have always concidered the Florida exam to be head and shoulders above ours. From the way Mike sets up the prep kit for the Florida master, and what my test covered here, you may want to just take it here.

M4gery

krisinjersey, you are very knowledgeable of the process.

I was told that you need to have 5 years of experience in order to apply for the contractor's license, however that experience had to be 5 years prior to applying. So that means if you had some time off during those years due to layoff, you are S.O.L. Is that true? Not only is that what I've heard from other people, but that's also the way I interpret it from the website.

krisinjersey

Screwed

Screwed

From what I understand,the time does not need to be unbroken but does need to add up to 5 years. Engineers don't even need any field time ( I think some of them should have 10 years first). You prior employers sign the work certification so if he's a decent guy he may just sign off on the dates. You're either going to pass or you aren't, so as a contractor I'd sign off for you. It's not like I'm swearing to your abilities, just saying you worked with/for me and did the time. I know guys that came out of high school tech programs and could have passed, and guys who have been doing this 20+ years (the guys who trained me in some cases) and couldn't pass it.

forman400b

Occupation
Master Electrician. NYC, Westchester, New Jersey
So, is a journeyman's license actually required to perform electrical work in NJ? I do have my contractors license (all my experience worked in NY, so I am not up on this), but if I hire electricians, must they posses this license?

RICK NAPIER

If you have your NJ electrical contractor's license with a buissness license you can do electrical work in NJ and hire electricians who have no license to work for you. The idea of the state is to eventually require one journeyman's or contractor's license for every ten electricians working for a contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.