New Junction box

Status
Not open for further replies.
For any of you who have not seen this yet... Arlington has a new plastic Junction box. Now you can legally relace an existing JB with a new one by screwing it into a stud. This new box has screws already in it and it is UL approved. WOOO HOOO!:) :)

stickboy1375

Joseph Alexander said:
For any of you who have not seen this yet... Arlington has a new plastic Junction box. Now you can legally relace an existing JB with a new one by screwing it into a stud. This new box has screws already in it and it is UL approved. WOOO HOOO!:) :)

And of course the only reason its legal is because someone is making money off it, just like that caulk they colored red not to long ago...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Do you mean this:

whnew78a.jpg

bill addiss

Joseph,

For what it's worth this style box has been around for a couple years now. The original was the "Smart Box". Smart Box is similar, but of a bit sturdier construction and has integral clamps which may make it a better choice for some applications.

http://www.smartboxinc.com

Bill

Last edited:

mdshunk

I've been using the Smart Box for a couple of years. I love Arlington stuff, and I'm a big fan of theirs, but their Smart Box copy sucks. I use about a case of single gang Smart Boxes a month at my shop because we do a lot of service work. There's no sturdier way to mount a box for NM cable, I guarantee you.

bill addiss

The Arlington website isn't clear on it, but having no clamps their boxes can't really be used for all 'old work' (new installation - ie add an outlet, etc.)

BTW, Smart Box recently came out with a 24 cu, New Work/Old Work round Ceiling Box (Fixture Support up to 50lbs) and a Fan Box (50lb Fan, 70lb Fixture), but they don't have any pictures up there yet.

(I know the Inventor and see him regularly at our local EC Association meetings)

Bill

mdshunk

bill addiss said:
BTW, Smart Box recently came out with a 24 cu, New Work/Old Work round Ceiling Box (Fixture Support up to 50lbs) and a Fan Box (50lb Fan, 70lb Fixture), but they don't have any pictures up there yet.
Yeah, and I still can't order them at the supply house, even if I want a whole case. I'm a little miffed about that. Sure would be nice for replacing nail on ceiling boxes with fan boxes.

bill addiss

Yeah, and I still can't order them at the supply house, even if I want a whole case. I'm a little miffed about that. Sure would be nice for replacing nail on ceiling boxes with fan boxes.
Marc,

I liked the idea as soon as he told me about it. It's meant to sit up against the joist just like the nail-ons so there's no problem covering the hole with a standard fan canopy. I put up a Fan in my Dining Room years ago and had to use a Ceiling Medallion to cover the hole. :(

I was told that they're readily available. If you put in an inquiry at the Smart Box website they'll tell you the nearest supplier where you can get them locally.

Bill

celtic

Joseph Alexander said:
What's wrong with madisons or clips (OWB ?)?

EDIT:

Ummmmm....are we talking walls or ceilings?
naja.gif

stickboy1375

mdshunk said:
Nothing wrong with madisons. These just hold MUCH better and sturdier.

i've never had a problem with a old work metal box and madison straps...
I have however had to change a 1 gang box to a 2 gang box and just predrill the 2 gang box and install drywall screws... like I said the only reason it is legal to use is someone is making money off it... I don't have a problem with drilling my own screws thru my own box... thank you very much...

Status
Not open for further replies.