New Meaning to Stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Dropped one once before OSHA and cell phones. Wrench went tink...tink...tink...clunk as it bounced energized buss to energized buss then hit bottom of cabinet.
This wasn’t in a A&P grocery store back in the 80’s? If it was, I was standing below you in front of the gear! Cringed and waited for the boom, but somehow it missed shorting out. LOL!

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
IMHO if the receptacle had a grounded bare metal cover (eg. stainless) then it is very likely that some of the current would go via the plate to ground and trip a GFCI. But if you just have two leads with no conductor nearby and you short them with a penny, then all current leaving one lead would have to go to the other, and the GFCI would simply see 'load current'.

-Jon

GFCI, AFCI, fuse, or regular breaker... results will be the same: sparks and charring.

To many Children are raised on pop culture and the dumb side of the internet.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Or gang boundaries.
It’s done all over the world.
kids with nothing better to do.
”hey, let’s see if we can get these shoes to hang on that line”
once it’s done, time to get into other mischief.

kwired

Electron manager
It’s done all over the world.
kids with nothing better to do.
”hey, let’s see if we can get these shoes to hang on that line”
once it’s done, time to get into other mischief.
Been to a few fishing spots over the years where there was overhead power lines (some low volts some medium volts) in the vicinity, and was amused with how many fishing lines with some fishing tackle still hanging there were wrapped around the overhead lines. Isn't like they were placed in a spot where they would be easily in the way for someone fishing, meaning getting that line stuck up there about had to be an intentional act of some sort.

One place I specifically remember was at Gavins Point dam on Missouri river between NE and SD. When I was a kid I noticed all sorts of lines and tackle caught in overhead lines at a particular spot. All that is there to supply is light poles, but today all the electric lines are underground. This is on Corps of Engineers managed recreational area.

Status
Not open for further replies.